drains

TammyH968
on 2/4/13 1:47 am - Wichita Falls, TX

Had my pre op with doctor and he explained what he was going to do and told me I would have 4 drains in the groin area.  But I did not think to ask where do they drain too?  Is there gauze or something to collect what ever drains out?  Called doctors office and waiting for call back.  Can anyone explain this to me.

Thanks

Tammy

TammyH968
on 2/4/13 2:01 am - Wichita Falls, TX

Think I may have found my answer.  Searched drains and found some pictures of what drains look like.  Should have did that first.  But if anyone would like to share their experinces with drains it would be greatly apprecitated.  Have a great day everyone.

Tammy

jeterway
on 2/4/13 2:30 am

The drains he was referring to are called jp drains - jackson-pratt drains.  They have a long tube coming out of the skin that empties into a bulb.  You should be instructed on how to care for them prior to leaving the hospital.  They have to be stripped several times a day.  I used an alcohol swab to grip the tube close to the skin with one hand while holding the tube above that grip to keep the tube stable in the opening.  You then run the swab down the tube squeezing it shut to push any stuff away from the body and into the bulb.  This is to ensure that no clots are stuck i the tube on the portion that you cannot see.  This causes a suction in the tube so that anything behind the skin will get pulled out.  You will be instructed how many times a day to do this.  You should also empty and measure the contents of the bulb periodically and record the volume.  The surgeon will tell you when the drains will get pulled based on these measurements.  Usually its less than 30 in a 24 hour period over 48 hours.  Once it gets that low, they can usually pull the drain.  Some come out fast, others take longer.  They don't hurt, more of an annoyance when moving around and getting dressed.  You should pin them to your clothing so that they are not strained.  Hope this helps. 

Good Luck!

JoAnn

TammyH968
on 2/4/13 4:43 am - Wichita Falls, TX

Thanks JoAnn that helped alot.  How did you pin them up?  I was already wondering how those would feel just hanging there.  LOL

Tammy

jeterway
on 2/4/13 5:26 am

The bulbs have little tabs on them that you can insert a safety pin on - although some of them also have a clip attached but I found the pin method better as you don't have to worry about it falling off.  Depending on where the drains are, just pin them close to where they come out of the skin.  You can curl the tubing around and loop it through the pin just make sure you dont puncture the tubing or the bulb of the drain.  If you have a few items of clothing that are a little big or loose on you, you should be able to hide them fairly easily.  Remember when you empty the drain to fold it before you cap it again so that you create that suction again.  The tubes are usually held in by a stitch or two - i is amazing how long this will hold.  However, if it should pop, call the doctors office but it is not usually an emergency.  The tube is connected to something fairly long inside of the body so there is no immediate chance of the drain popping out.  I freaked out the first time that this happened to me but the drain remained in place until it was ready to come out.  Just make sure that when you are stripping them, that you hold it close to the skin with the other hand so that you are not pulling it out as you slide down the tube.  As the one hand goes down the tube and creates the suction, you can move the other hand down closer to get a better grip.  It really isn't hard to do this, once you do it once you will be good.  Or perhaps the nurse will do it before you leave the hospital so you can see it.  It really is amazing how much stuff you will see coming out of the tube once you strip them.

JoAnn

giarobin
on 2/4/13 10:05 pm - Las Cruces, NM

That was an EXCELLENT description of how to empty the drains! I wouldn't have had any idea what to do if the nurse and doctor hadn't shown me. I did have a problem figuring out what to do with them, though. Didn't hurt, but were just awkward. Was glad when they were removed.

Robin :  RNY: 06/03/2009  HW: 268  CW: 158  Panni: 01/07/2013

TammyH968
on 2/4/13 7:50 am - Wichita Falls, TX

Thank you so much for all the info.  It has helped put me at ease.

Tammy

Crazeru
on 2/4/13 4:44 pm

Take a few light day pads and may some maxi pads.  Just in case there is leakage at the area of the drain and your skin.  I had very leaky mons drains and it'd just soak the gauze, having the pads, soaked up the leakage.    Get a lanyard to clip all your drains to when you shower.  It makes it so much easier.

The tubes snake around to the areas that need draining like the back of your LBL, and the tubes come out in the mons area.  Arms drains come out at the elbows generally.  I had a reduction in one breast with the lift and had a drain under it...

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

jeterway
on 2/4/13 7:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder Chris.  It is possible that you will experience some leakage from the drain holes.  I forgot this because I had very little leakage from my drains.  But you can use any kind of absorbant materials like pads or gauze to catch it before it soaks through your clothing.  Keeping the drains flowing properly minimizes this issue but sometimes the liquid just finds its own way out of your body.

JoAnn

Cinn
on 2/8/13 5:10 am - MI

This is great information. I was also told I'll have 4 drains with my procedure. I had the JP tubes/bulb with my Rny, so I'm familiar with them. Gonna start a list of supplies needed!

Most Active