OK.... seriously... when does the swelling end (Arm lift)

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/15/13 8:50 am, edited 3/15/13 8:58 am

I'm over four weeks out and I do expect to still have some swelling, but it is making me nuts.  Yesterday my upper arm measured 11.5 inches.  Today, it measures 13.5 inches (measured by my husband to make sure it's consistent.  UG!  And the swelling goes down my forearms, and even around my chest.  Some days my compression garment is way too lose around the chest.  Today it is way too tight and very uncomfortable.

They cut and sucked out a LOT (lots of lipo on both arms and neck) and yet I've GAINED about 7 pounds since surgery. ACK!!! Oh, it's driving me crazy.  I know I shouldn't weigh myself, but... wow, SEVEN pounds?! So depressing...

How much longer will this go on?  Come on - you guys have a crystal ball, right?  You're just holding out on me. ;) 

My neck is also still tender and a bit lumpy from the lipo.  I really thought I'd be further along in my healing by now.  My surgeon told me I'd still be healing from this last round of surgeries when I do my extended tummy tuck (which, by the way, I have decided to go ahead and do!!)

Anyway... this is half just a chance to vent, and half looking for others to tell me how long they kept swelling.  Sometimes I the compression garment(s) aren't doing anything but causing discomfort.  How long were you all in compression?  My surgeon told me I could stop wearing them - he isn't as strict as most - but I'm afraid to given my level of swelling.  I am afraid it would get even worse without it!

Sorry if this post didn't make much sense.  I'm feeling so tired and goofy today.  I just want a good night's sleep, but I can't get comfortable with these stupid arms.  (I love the way the look - just hate the way they feel!)

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

emelar
on 3/15/13 9:51 am - TX

I know what you mean about being tired of it.  I'm in week 7 post-LBL and still have swelling, although not nearly as bad as before - but I want it to be OVER!

I didn't have lipo, but have been told that it can be pretty brutal and take longer to recover from than the surgery.  And you know the weight gain is fluid, right?  Not that it makes you feel any better when you're looking at the number on the scale!

LilSleeved
on 3/15/13 8:57 pm

Post plastic surgery swelling can take up to a year to completely resolve.  Your body is seeking collateral circulation.

You have had major surgery and trauma to your body, give it time to heal and return to a balanced state. 

The swelling can be every frustrating, but just expect it to be around for a very long time.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Brooke F.
on 3/19/13 3:35 pm - CA

I'm just about 5 months post TT and if ya saw me in the street tonight you'd ask me when my baby was due.....

I swell randomly and it's annoying...but I know it's all part of the process.

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/20/13 2:35 am

Oh man, that IS annoying!  At five months too... geesh.    Too bad the swelling seems random, so you can't even avoid triggers.  I hope it resolves for you completely very soon!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/20/13 2:38 am

I'll be five weeks out tomorrow and my arms are still swollen, but I've been peeing a lot the last two days so I know it is starting to go down.  My forearms are still very swollen, which is weird...but I'm so glad to feel like it is FINALLY starting to go down a little.  I'm going to keep wearing my compression 24/7...  it isn't to hard to do since the weather is freezing cold. 

I have my pre-op consult on Friday for my extended tummy tuck!  I bet after my ETT, my arms and neck will re-swell.  Oh well...  Hopefully all this will be worth it someday. 

Thanks for letting me vent and moan here. 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

Most Active