Unexpected decision to make: Anchor Cut or Not?

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/22/13 2:56 am

Hello, everyone!

I had my pre-op appointment today for my tummy tuck which is scheduled for April 2nd.  Eeeek!  I'm getting very excited and very nervous and very -- well, very everything.  You guys know better than anyone the spectrum of emotions you go through before plastics.  I'm flying all over that spectrum right now.

Based on my initial consult a few months ago, I thought the PS was doing an extended tummy tuck, meaning a standard cut similar to where my c-section scar is but extended from hip to hip.  Today at my pre-op, he told me I could benefit from an additional incision that goes up to my bra-line.  From what I gather, this is called an anchor cut.  He said it would give better results in terms of shape and would definitely help me to get a waist line (don't really have much of one now!) but the trade-off is the scar. Also, the longer incision means the recovery will be a little bit tougher and there is slightly more possibility for complications or trouble somewhere along the incision line.

I would describe my shape as apple-ish.  I don't have a well defined waist, it's actually big  compared to other parts of me.  For example, looking at clothing charts, my hip measurement often puts me in a clothing size that is several size smaller than my waist measurement dictates.  I do have skin and fat above my belly button that worry me.  I'm worried if I got the standard tummy tuck, the pooch above my belly button would not adequately flatten and I'd be left even more applely.

He wouldn't allow me to tell him my decision today, he wanted me to really think about it.  He said I could even wait and tell him the day of my surgery.  I think my surgeon was trying to say my result would be better with the anchor cut, but only if I could tolerate the scar.

My thinking is this... I won't ever wear a bikini.  I don't care how awesome my body ever gets, it's just not in me to wear a bikini or anything revealing.  Even when I was young and slim, I didn't wear revealing clothes.  So the only person that will see the scar will be myself, my doctor's and my husband.  My husband doesn't care, but does seem to be leaning towards the anchor cut because he figures we should just go "all the way" if we are doing major surgery anyway,

I'm leaning towards doing the anchor cut, but I'm not totally sure yet.  Surgery recovery sucks, there is no other way to put it... and the idea of have even longer incisions to have to heal from is not at all appealing to me.    So I'd love to hear any input from you all.   What are your thoughts?  Thanks in advance for helping me think this through! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Kim S.
on 3/22/13 4:07 am - Helena, AL

It is a very personal decision. I did not do an anchor cut because I did not want the scar.  I run and in the summer, I like to wear the bra style tops and my stomach shows.  However, I am hour glass shaped, so I didn't need the help with my waist.  My waist now, after my LBL is 33 and my hips are 41, so you can see I have a defined waist.  (there are some post op pics on my profile).

I will tell you this.  Without the anchor you could still have fat/skin above the navel.  I do still have some skin, but I didn't mind the trade off-because of the scar.  You need to really think about which result you want, and what you are willing to live with.  I can tell you this, in your shoes, based on your description, I'd lean toward the anchor cut.

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/24/13 12:37 pm
I don't know how I missed your response the first time!

Thank you!! I am worried that I'd be left with a muffin top without the vertical cut. I'm not especially worried about the scar but more worried about the extended recovery and increased complication rate.

It's so hard to know the right decision, but I'm leaning towards doing the anchor cut and praying for a complication free recovery.

Thanks again for your helpful response!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Crazeru
on 3/22/13 8:33 am

I thought because of my muffin top, that I'd need an anchor too, but Dr Sauceda was able to lipo my muffin top and then pull down with my LBL.  I really don't have much of a waist, but I was willing to do the anchor cut to get a flat tummy.

If the PS is telling you, that you will get better results with the anchor cut, are you going to be happy if you don't?

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/24/13 1:53 am

Thanks for your response!  Yeah, I'm thinking that if the surgeon is seriously hinting that I need the anchor cut for best results, then I'd only have myself to blame if I wasn't happy with the results.  I'm self-conscious about my muffin top now (that was the term I was searching for - muffin top!  Thank you!)  and I think it sounds like it would be improved but not fully resolved with a more standard incision. 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

Tess145
on 3/22/13 11:16 am - Senatobia, MS

I had the anchor cut and have a really defined waist line.  I will tell you though that I had open bypass so I already had a scar there so that was not an issue for me.  I lost a total of 150 lbs. so my skin was pretty shot.  I still have loose skin above my navel but I am hoping with my next surgery (butt lift and outer thigh along with scar revisions along my tummy tuck line) that some of this loose skin will be pulled a little tighter.  I would have still had the anchor cut even if I did not have the original scar.  I will never wear a two piece so it was not an issue for me.  You can look at my pictures and see the results of my anchor cut.  My pictures are at about 5 weeks out.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/24/13 1:58 am

That's about how much I've lost too - 150 pounds.  Plus two pregnancies...  so you can imagine how lovely my stomach looks now. ;)     I'm the same way that I'd never wear a two-piece swimsuit or show my midriff with revealing clothes, so I shouldn't worry about the scar too much.  I am worried about the healing, though.  How long would you say you were recovering from the anchor cut - as in , how long until you were resuming somewhat normal (if cautious) activities? 

Thanks for directing me to your pictures!  I think you look really great - and that scar is actually quite amazing for just being 5 weeks out.  You make nice scars. ;)   I would definitely be happy if my scar looked anything like that - nice and thin!   And, just think, it'll only get lighter with time.    You have a nicely defined waist too!

Thanks for your response!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

Tess145
on 3/24/13 3:49 am - Senatobia, MS

I had one drain that stay with me for four weeks so I took off 5 weeks from work.  I did not have any healing problems and the T spot at the bottom of the anchor cut healed great.  I did walk stooped over for about 10 days so my back did hurt some but I had a lift chair to sleep in for the first two weeks which I think was a God send.  I don't believe I could have got on and off my regular bed without pulling my stitches.  I also used a toilet riser and I use a walker to get around for this first few days so I would be steady on my feet while walking.  You and I are very similar, I had two pregnancies also.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  Also, I upped my protein to about 120 grams per day at about 3 weeks before and after surgery for extra healing power.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/24/13 12:43 pm
Thank you so much for that helpful information!! It really helps to get a feel for what things might look like post op. Of course, I know everyone heals differently and I am definitely not a fast healer...so I am expecting a long recovery. I'm do glad that I've reserved a lift chair for a month! Sounds like I'll definitely need one.

Thanks again!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

firefly2000
on 3/23/13 4:28 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

Hey there!

I think choosing which type of TT you would like is a very personal decision. When I went in for my initial consultation with my PS I was leaning towards the anchor cut for the very same reasons that your surgeon mentioned. I also have, (had, since surgery!) an apple shape. I was very concerned that with the extended TT that I wouldn't achieve a waistline. I also carry extra weight in my mid drift area, so the anchor cut seemed like the way to go.

However, my PS said that he felt that he would be able to give me a defined waist with the extended TT, and he would do lipo above my belly button to deal with the extra fat. He felt that adding the vertical incision would only prolong the healing process, and also increase my chances of complications. My PS was so positive that he would achieve the look I desired that he said that I would have to go to another PS if I chose the anchor cut!

After looking over the many pictures of his patients who had extended TT's and talking it over with my father inlaw (he is a retired PS) I decided to stay with my PS and go for the extended TT.  I am so happy with my decision!! I do have a waist! even though I am only 3 weeks post op and still have some swelling....I do have an hour glass figure!!  I love my new curves!!

Again, your decision is up to you! I am sure whichever you choose you are going to be thrilled with your results!!

Keep us posted!

Lesley 

Most Active