Three days post anchor tummy tuck...

ReadyforPlastics
on 4/5/13 6:17 pm

I can't believe I am about to type this, but I feel great.  Very minimal pain (and I didn't use a pain pump or anything), so I am already weaning off the pain pills.  I had the anchor tt with muscle tightening.   I had more pain and discomort with my arm lift and neck lipo than I did with this tt!  What a suprise...  The surgeon said he removed about 8 pounds of excess skin.  Hooray! I didn't have any lipo, which sort of surprised me, but I guess he found it wasn't necessary.  I am wondering if the fact that I didn't have lipo is playing a big role in my manageable pain level.  I know I found the lipo that was done on my arms was far more painful than the actual incision for the lift.

I can already tell my shape is SO improved.  I'm day dreaming about bathing suits for the summer. :)   No more apron!  No more muffin top!  It's crazy.  I'm just so thrilled it makes me want to cry with gratitude.

The one set back I've had is actually related to my arm lift that I had over 6 weeks ago.  I've had so much swelling with this tummy tuck that a previously healed hole in my right arm re-opened. D'oh!!  So that stinks.  I'm in compression now for my arms again, so hopefully it will mend itself quickly.  My poor arms.  I'm afraid all of this swelling is bound to widen those scars, but I don't know what I can do about it other than drink lots of water and wear my compression. 

I have five drains (three more than I expected!) which I hope will come out on Monday -  but we'll see.   I'm not looking forward to that because I think getting drains pulled are about one of the most creepy feelings in the world, but it'll also be a milestone in my recovery.

My surgeon told me it will take SIX MONTHS (eek) for full recovery of my ab muscles and I have to be very careful for the entire 6 months.  Has anyone else been given similar advice? 

So I just wanted to post a quick update and thank you all for your encouragement and knowledge that you shared with me in this process.   I'm glad I went ahead with the anchor cut, and now I just have to pray that my healing goes smoothly.  Rest, pray, sip, walk, repeat.... :)

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

acbbrown
on 4/5/13 10:29 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I dont think 6 months is the norm in terms of advice re: healin post TT. That seems like a long time!  

Glad you are feeling good. Just remember to take it easy - it's easy to forget its major surgery when you feel good. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

exohexoh
on 4/6/13 12:40 am - West Chester, PA

i hope my recovery goes this smoothly! congrats!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

firefly2000
on 4/6/13 4:02 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

Ready for Plastics,

congrats on your surgery being a success! More importantly congrats on the healing process not being that difficult! How wonderful for you! The recovery for me has been slow and very uncomfortable, at least in the very beginning.

My PS also told me to expect a 3-6 month recovery period for the muscle repair. My advise to you is, take it slow, don't rush getting back into life as usual. I pulled a muscle by my hip just by getting into my car 3 weeks out!

Congrats again on your new body! Summer is just around the corner!

Lesley

Tess145
on 4/6/13 11:18 am - Senatobia, MS

Congratulations on being on the other side!  My doctor told me after the anchor cut and muscle repair that it would take a good 6 months to heal completely.  That was a another reason that he would not do another surgery on the lower body until I was at least 8 months out and completely healed.  It will actually be 11 months when I have my LBL completed between surgeries.  Hope you continue to heal great.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Cinn
on 4/8/13 4:20 am - MI

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on how you're doing!

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

ReadyforPlastics
on 4/10/13 7:27 am

Hi, everyone!

I'm eight days out from my extended anchor tummy tuck.  I feel fantastic.  I really don't need any pain meds any more   - although I am keeping them on hand just in case I need them.    I can't believe what little discomfort I  have - and neither can my surgeon.  I went in today and had my last drain removed.    Things are looking good.  I do have lots of swelling, but that is expected.  I do have one sore spot on  my lower right side, but I can deal with it.  Honestly, the biggest annoyance right now is the hole in  my right armpit which re-opened due to all my swelling.  For now, I am keeping it covered and using antibiotic cream, but the surgeon said if it doesn't heal on it's own he can try to fix it under a local.  

It's funny and unexpected that this major surgery has so much more manageable pain than the arm lift and neck lipo did.   I guess it goes to show that everyone is different.

Now, don't get me wrong... I do have to be very careful.  I walk slowly, I get up and down very carefully.  Constipation... oh LORD I wish I could poop! So it isn't like I'm skipping through the meadows or anything.  But it is just much  more managable that I expected.  I have to be very careful to not overdo things and cause damage - and I really have to keep an eye on that arm hole problem. 

I also have a good situation for healing.  My mom is here helping with the kids.  I have a lift chair that I sleep in and hang out in most the day with a bathroom just a few steps away.  So I am able to take it easy, and if I wasn't my heaing would certainly not be so easy.

So I just wanted to give my update.  My hope for the upcoming days...

(a) Poop  ....  please, oh please, let me poop.  I'm so sick of prune juice.  ;)

(b) Having some healing progress in my armpit - try to not use my right arm.

(c) Enjoy a nice shower without having to juggle my drains!  Yea!

Oh, this is kind of funny... I seem to be growing a third boob.  I have a lot of swelling and my compression garment ends maybe two inches below my breasts even though my midline incision ends just an inch below my breasts..  The results?  A third boob has grown at the end of that midline incision.  Know where I can buy 3-cup bras?   ;)   The surgeon gave me some tips for compression this area, but I pretty much just have to wait (weeks?  months?) for the swelling to go down. 

All I can do is knock and wood and pray that this smooth healing continues.   I truly believe this is largely thanks to the fact that I didn't have lipo.  I had muscle repair, but not lipo.     Lipo, I think, is VERY VERY painful - in my experience.   So not having lipo has really helped me to be comfortable.

That's all for now.  More news as it happens.

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Most Active