Heal faster

MyBariatricLife
on 4/14/13 4:51 am

What will help me to heal faster after my TT?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

emelar
on 4/14/13 6:47 am - TX

Protein.  Sound familiar? kiss

MyBariatricLife
on 4/14/13 7:26 am

I found this advice from a physicia...

It is possible to tweak your diet to enhance recovery from surgery. Certain amino acids seem to help wounds heal faster, so before—and especially after—surgery, make sure your meals and snacks feature fish, chicken, eggs (especially the whites), brown rice, walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Some studies suggest that vitamin C and zinc can also help you mend; drinking a glass of orange juice and eating the daily recommended amount of fruit and produce should provide all the C you need, while a fortified breakfast cereal is an easy way to get zinc. If you take a multivitamin, choose one that delivers B12 and iron, both of which aid bone marrow in forming new blood cells. Finally, consider supplements of one amino acid in particular: glutamine. A Harvard Medical School review of research on glutamine indicates that people who got the amino acid intravenously after surgery spent, on average, four fewer days in the hospital. One note: The dosage people took varied, so talk to your doctor about an amount that makes sense for you.   David L. Katz, MD, is director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center and president of the nonprofit Turn the Tide Foundation.     Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/What-to-Eat-Before-and-After-Sur gery-to-Help-You-Heal#ixzz2QTWcdIXC

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

bamabelle16
on 4/14/13 11:09 am
Stay hydrated, avoid being constipated and coughing, plenty of protein, Arnica Montana, taking vitamins and supplements, pineapple, walking, cocoa and Shea butter body wash and lotion, gel zone silicone strips, wearing a compression garment, and getting physical therapy to help with range of motion, mobility, and scar management. I had a lbl w/fdl and have had a remarkable recovery. Wishing you a great recovery too!
MyBariatricLife
on 4/16/13 7:07 pm

Thanks so much. I am having my TT tomorrow and I am nervous - I hate surgery, especially anesthesia. But I am looking forward to losing this apron and FUPA!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active