What was your experience post TT

MyBariatricLife
on 4/20/13 5:37 am

I had a TT on Thursday with Dr Capella. I realize that each physician has their protocol for after care and that each person heals differently. So I would really like to hear about others' experiences after the TT or LBL.

i spent the night at a rehab after my surgery. I was on two Percocet every 4 hrs as need for pain. Honestly, I could have used them every three hours. I was not mobile so when I left the center and took the 90 min care ride home and had to do some walking and sitting up, I can honestly say that the pain got rather bad... An 8 on the scale of 1-10 whereas it was probably a 5 the day prior. 

My doc told me to be active, on my feet more than sitting or laying down. I was told to remove the binder today and not to use a compression garment. Still on the Percocet but supposed to be taking half the dosage that I was in the hospital. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 4/20/13 5:41 am

Sorry, this site is not compatible with my iPad. As I was saying, I did not have anyone dress my wounds and was not told to apply antimicrobial or anything to them. I have been taking the full dose of Percocet because of the pain but the doc told me to get off them as soon as possible.

i would be suspicious of this after care but dr Capella is one of the top PS after weight loss surgery. So, he knows what he is doing.  I am curious what other doctors have prescribed for treatment. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 4/20/13 5:42 am

Also, did your doc use drains and blood thinners with you? I have the drains and I am waiting to hear back from dr Capella if he wants me to take the lovenox

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Angela B.
on 4/20/13 7:39 am
I had a lower body lift in October. I was in the hospital for two days on a morphine pump and switched to Percocet on day two right before being sent home. I think I took the Percocet two at a time for 10 days and a few a day for another week after that, and i have a high tolerance for pain. Some doctors want you off the pain meds as soon as possible because they are sedating, can contribute to constipation, and can be addictive. But frankly, taking them for a week for two isn't going to hurt you at all, if you are in enough pain to need them just be firm with your doctor and let him know. There is no reason to be in pain and be miserable, and if you are in a great deal of pain, you will be less likely to get up and move around. I tried to get up and walk for just a few minutes around my room every couple of hours. It helps prevent blood clots and although its a little uncomfortable while moving, you will feel so much better after words. Listen to your body and rest when you need to, when a doctor says "be active" they just don't want you to be laying around in bed all day

I was given a blood thinner during surgery but did not take one after. My doctor had me take Valium as a muscle relaxer and an antibiotic for about 10 days in addition to the Percocet. I also had pain pump directly in my abdomen for the first three days and I know that helped. I had four drains, with two in the front for the tummy tuck portion. I woke up after surgery with a compression garment AND a binder on, but I did have to take the binder off a few times because I was so swollen it was too tight. Some doctors don't use them at all. The compression garment i had was more because i had liposuction on my thighs. I didn't have to put anything on my incisions either, my doctor said she has more people react to tape or glue from the dressings.

Were you advised to take a stool softener at all? Between the anesthesia and the pain meds, constipation was a huge problem for me, and they don't want you to do anything that would strain you abdominal muscles after a tummy tuck. Good luck, the first three days are the hardest so you will feel better very soon!

alla B.
on 4/20/13 11:13 am

Hi,

first congratulations on your TT!

I just had arm lift with Dr Capella on Aprill 11 and also was very concern about his techiques.

I had my tummy tuck on September 2010 with different doctor and I can tell that you must not stop percoset 2 days after TT.

I was in hospital for 3 nights with morphine and i took 2 percoset every 4 hours for 10 days after I came home.

My doctor even asked me if I need more, he will give me prescription.I had my binder for 3 month, it was life saver.

And my question if you have drains and do not have binder to where you should clip your drains?

I know dr Capella is very famous doctor, but his method for TT and arm lift is very different what I heard and experienced myself.

Please take pain med as you need them. Do not regret your TT, you will love it later, trust me.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

MyBariatricLife
on 4/20/13 7:28 pm
Thank you, both, Angela and Alla, for your replies. This forum is such a God-send. It truly helps to connect with other patients whom have gone through this. I really appreciate your insights and advice.

It is very helpful to know how long you were on the pain meds. My perspective is the same as yours, why be in pain? I also agree tht I will be more active if not in such pain. I am not worried about becoming addicted to pain killers because I hate them. I understand how someone could become addicted if in chronic pain, but to use them recreationally, well, blech! The Percocet makes me dizzy and nauseous.

I am concerned about not being on an antibiotic and I will speak with the doc today about it. I also will ask him if a muscle relaxer would be beneficial in that maybe I would be more active if the muscles did not hurt so much.

I am taking a stool softener twice a day. So far, I have not had a BM since surgery day and I am not looking forward to having one. I simply do not want to have to push those muscles. It hurts to even use them to pass gas. I have a terrible problem with constipation so I am not taking my iron supplements at this time. I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to be constipated after this procedure.

I had some problems with phlegm in my throat yesterday and coughing. OUCH did that hurt my cut muscles to cough!!!! The phlegm was yellow and sticky (sorry for being gross) so I wounded of I needed an antibiotic. I sent a text to the doctor asking as much but he did not respond.

It frustrates me that I did not receive pre op and post op/discharge instructions. They had me sign tons of paperwork in the hospital for the pre op and post op instructions but did not provi me with a copy. What good is that?!?!

I had my husband cut one of the strips of the binder off and save that for when I shower. I am wearing what remains of the binder, which is two strips, because it seems more comfortable than not wearing it. I also clips the drains to this. I was told that I could clip the drains to my clothes if I wanted. That did not sound like a good idea to me. I can see myself forgetting about them and pulling down my pants to potty - oops! Ouch!

My tummy feels weird to the touch. I guess it is still numb. It does not feel like it is part of me. I am looking forward to being able to sleep on my tummy again... Or even my side. Laying on my back all the time is interfering with my sleep.

Thanks again!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

kathkeb
on 4/21/13 1:40 pm

I had my TT last year in an outpatient facility and went home a few hours post op.

i was allowed 1-2 Percocet every 4-6 hours.

i was encouraged to stay ahead of the pain. To do that, I took one Benadryl with one percocetabout every 6 hours during the daytime.

the combo helped me nap on and off during the day.  I would nap for an hour or so and then get up and walk around the house for a while, get some more water or a snack and then nap some more.

i was in a binder all day for weeks and I did not have any drains so I can't speak about that.

Kath

MyBariatricLife
on 4/23/13 9:39 am

kathkeb - that is a good idea about the Benedryl. Thanks much!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

ReadyforPlastics
on 4/21/13 3:19 am, edited 4/21/13 3:20 am

Congratulations on your tummy tuck!!!  I think sounds like you are doing terrific for just being four days out from surgery.  Everyone is different, there are different variations on the surgery itself - different techniques and different patient needs, and everyone experiences a different level of pain.  

As a rule, it is always good to get off narcotic pain medicine as soon as possible, but that does not mean getting off of them a moment earlier.   My PS has been very generous in allowing me refills of Norco (basically the same as percocet - it's hydrocodone plus tylenol).   I got my pain meds refilled twice.  I'm 19 days out of surgery now from an anchor tummy tuck and took my last pain pill a few days ago.   It feels good to be off of them. They made me nauseous and also gave me hives (I have to take Benadryl at the same time I take anything with hydrocodone in it - it's a combo that makes you pretty sleepy!)

My pain was at it's worst right after I got out of the recovery room.  There was a snafu with my pain meds and I wasn't given any sort of pain control for 6 hours.  The pain was a 9 or 10.... It was the longest 6 hours of my life and prayer was the only thing that got me through it.   Once the right pharmaceuticalss were employed, I was so relieved and grateful.  A five felt manageable.

I took my pain pills pretty much on schedule for the first week after surgery.  I was allowed to take one or two pills every 4-6 hours.  I never took two pills, though. I took one pill every four hours (sometimes 5) that first week.  Then I weaned off of it from there.  Slowly.  Taking a pain pill before bed was the last to go,

It's OK to take those pain pills.  You are still fresh out of surgery.  It's OK....  you won't get any kind of medal for weening off of them early.  As long as you aren't have any adverse reactions to it, or any medical reason you shouldn't take it, don't worry about it.  Listen to your body.  Focus on healing.  Every day will get better, I promise... but you have to be careful with yourself to ensure you don't have any setbacks by over doing it too early.

ETA:  Oh, and yes!  Take stool softener.  This is TMI, I know... but this board is all about that, right?  I took stool softener, later a gentle laxative, and eventually needed an enema to get things going!   Oh, Lord....  I had to remember my Lamaze breathing for that first BM...  So, that is the big big downside of these pain meds.  They can definitely slow down your plumbing, which isn't fun at all!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

MyLady Heidi
on 4/21/13 2:34 pm

I recall taking a few pain killers to try to sleep and they got stuck in my throat and I freaked out, went for a walk by myself late at night, got scared and went home and ate some crackers to help the stuck feeling.  That was the end of taking pain killers.  I was more numb and not really in pain.  I just cannot sleep at all after being put under so that was why I tried the pain killers.  As for putting anything on the steristrips you aren't supposed to touch them, let hem fall off on their own, and I had two drains that got pulled after the first week or so.  I tucked them up in my bra when I went out.  

Most Active