Abdominoplasty - Worth it?!

careuh
on 4/28/13 4:27 am - Warren, OH

I'm scheduled to have my Abdominoplasty on May 6. I am super nervous, excited, and scared. I have asked the doctor these questions but I'd rather hear from personal experience. The surgery is relatively safe right? My biggest thing is when I had my Lap RNY I didn't have a 7 month old baby to think about. Now I'm just scared if I were to die on the table I'll leave her behind :( I just need some reassurance I guess. I know I'll feel better about myself in the long run and I have the support of my wonderful fiance and he will be home to take care of the baby because I know I won't be able to lift. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just keep investing in Spanx or if I'm being selfish?

MyBariatricLife
on 4/28/13 5:10 am

I just had abdominoplasty on April 18th. Afterwards, there were times when I questioned my decision to get a tummy tuck. It was much more painful than I expected, and I had not anticipated just how much I would hate not being able to stand upright. At times I wondered if I would ever stand straight again. I still felt fat and I wondered if the final results would be worth the pain. I was comforted in this initial phase of recovery by the comments posted on the ObesityHelp Plastic Surgery Forum. Women whom had gone before me and had tummy tucks or lower body lifts after their bariatric surgery assured me it would all be worth it. I remained optimistic. Today I am 10 days past my surgery and although I have a long way to go to realize the full benefits, I am thrilled that I went through with the procedure. Yes, it is worth it.

Good luck!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Laura in Texas
on 4/28/13 10:22 am

For me mentally, I had to get rid of the skin. It drove me insane. The risk was worth it to me. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Angela B.
on 4/28/13 10:51 am
Of course it's worth it It is safe, doctors do this all the time!

My lower body lift took off about 25 pounds of tissue and 10 inches off of my hips. I have some pics on my profile if you would like to take a look. I remember having the same nerves right before the surgery... I was at my pre op appointment talking with my doctor about how scared I was, wondering if I should chicken out, and I looked down at my medical file in her hands. On the first page were my "before" pictures. Once I saw a direct view of that mess of skin, I looked at my doctor and said, "I can do this"! It's a long recovery, but so worth it!

pineview01
on 4/28/13 2:36 pm - Davison, MI

WOW!  That was a lot of skin.  You bending over really gets the point across.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nikke2003
on 4/29/13 3:05 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Just want to thank you for posting pics in your profile... it's helpful and I recognize that it's definitely not a comfortable thing to do!  you look great!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

kawkbw
on 4/28/13 11:39 pm - MA

I had mine done 2 weeks ago.  I had a pain pump inserted during surgery.  I found the pain to be tolerable afterwards.  While in the hospital the nurses told me they usually see the pain much much worse without the pump.  I knew going into surgery recovery was going to be difficult. Knowing that, I am making the best of it.  I have help( which I am so thankful for).  It's hard to get out of bed, get on and off the toilet, and you can't bend to pick up anything.  I think that we have come so far with the weightl loss that the TT is the last step. You are not being selfish.  You deserve this as all of us do!!

Kim S.
on 4/28/13 11:43 pm - Helena, AL

I waited 3.5 years because I was "never going to have plastics" because I truly didn't mind the look of the skin.  What I didn't bargain for was the hygiene issues with all that skin.  I am athletic now (feels weird to say that!) and when I'd run or do boot camp classes, the sound of the skin was embarrassing.  Then, every day I'd have to go home, change my clothes below the waist and take another shower just from the sweating of the skin on skin.  I never had rashes except for the few in my cavernous navel. 

This is relatively safe surgery, but all surgeries have risk.  They are only operating on the skin and muscles, not going into your organs. Remember, they do this all day every day for a living-and they wouldn't accept the risk of your surgery if they felt you couldn't handle it. The recovery is rough-mostly the muscle tightening- but I'm extremely pleased with my results.

You are not being selfish!  If you can afford it without making others sacrifice, then why would you feel selfish?  There is nothing wrong with taking care of you!!

JenSchroed
on 4/30/13 4:06 am

Absolutely worth the tummy tuck!  I did it just a little over 6 weeks ago . . never a regret!

On the journey to something new . . .     

angie1973
on 6/2/13 8:39 am
RNY on 09/25/13

has anyone had it done and pay out of pocket? i am right now waiting to see if i am approved for roux n y but just thinking ahead.

Most Active