How does the Fat Attached to the Skin Thing work?

PSoftGirl
on 4/30/13 7:54 am, edited 4/30/13 7:56 am - Alpharetta, GA

At my highest I was 366, and now I am ~209 - so i have a lot of hanging skin already with lots of fat stilll attached! However i see  who are now truly lean and muscular and the excess sort of just drapes them like a bed sheet. (e.g., 5'7" and 130 lbs all with excess skin)

Scenario #1 - If I have LBL + Abdomino+ thigh lift surgery at say 200lbs, would it remove skin + some fat attached to skin (so amount of "tissue" removed may be greater for this option - say 25 lbs of fat plus skin removed)

Scenario #2 - If I have LBL + Abdomino+ thigh lift surgery at 140 lbs, would this remove just  true"skin"  by contrast?  Would i expect to lose less"tissue"  overall with only a "bed sheet" of excess skin covering my body? (so amount of "tissue" removed may be less for this option - say 7 lbs of mostly skin removed)

My real plan is to have this done closer to goal...but just wondering!  Someone had posted their surgery skin removed from Addomio and i was fascinated as it seemed there was maybe 2" thick of "tissue" attached to the back of the skin also removed along with the skin!  Is this just the useless Panni fat?

HW 366 (2004) * HW Pre-OP 271 (VSG) * CW 157 * GW 145

VSG - Dr. Paul Macik (Atlanta, GA) - 7/09

Post MWL Plastics with Dr. Peter Fisher (San Antonio, TX) 12/13

Kim S.
on 5/1/13 5:25 am - Helena, AL

It depends.  Overall most recommend waiting until you are at a stable weight for at least 6 months before you do plastics because a large weight loss after plastics can drastically affect results.

Some people do have fat attached to the skin which results in more taken off, but it depends on the individual and does not correlate to their current weight necessarily.  I weighed 165 at surgery and didn't have much fat attached to my skin, but some folks do even at goal.

Crazeru
on 5/1/13 5:37 am, edited 5/1/13 5:42 am

I had a muffin top that was fatty and Dr Sauceda did lipo on it then did my LBL and I had a few other areas that had fat pockets.  There was some fat left on my backside that was used for my butt flap augmentation, gave me a more rounded look for the top of my butt.  For my upper body lift, there was still some fat above where the cut was going and Dr S scrapped it off while he was in there. 

It is better if you can be weight stable for 6 mo.  I was weight stable for 2 yrs before my PS.  The fat wasn't leaving.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PSoftGirl
on 5/1/13 6:59 am - Alpharetta, GA

Let me ask you...during those two years - did your body change within that time?  I understand things "tighten up."  My only argument is that my weight has been lower for a long time (230ish for past few years from a high of 366), so the problem areas are going to remain problem areas - there is no bounce back hope left.  The only thing that may emerge are new problem areas.

That said, i will not do the surgeries until close to goal.

Do you know the reasons for the "weight stable for six months" rule of thumb?  the two i can think of are:

- body continues to change

- proof you can maintain the lower weight and not losing still (thus maintain surgery results)

Anything else?

HW 366 (2004) * HW Pre-OP 271 (VSG) * CW 157 * GW 145

VSG - Dr. Paul Macik (Atlanta, GA) - 7/09

Post MWL Plastics with Dr. Peter Fisher (San Antonio, TX) 12/13

Crazeru
on 5/3/13 5:46 am

Not really, my body lost the weight it was going to lose and stopped.  I was in size 9 jeans and mostly large tops, I was ok with where I was.  There was still some fat on my skin when I had plastics, and Dr S lipo'd a liter of fat too, my skin was only 3lbs. 

Being weight stable is important.  If you lose more weight after your PS, say 20-30+lbs, your results may not be as good and you may need a revision.  Some folks do have their skin shrink a bit and get tighter.  Youth may help, but I was almost 59 when I had my PS.  Plus, the surgeon can get better results the closer you are to your goal weight.  If you have lots of skin, your final goal weight may change. 

I was 140 when I had my PS, water weight and swelling took me up to 150, then back down to 140-142...  When I went back for my UBL last Jan, I was 148 and I dropped back to 140-142, so the PS helped me get back to where I wanted to be.  I'd struggled to take off 4lbs to get to 148, then it fell off after my UBL.  I'm happy about that! 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active