Study Shows a 'Tummy Tuck' Procedure May Help Patients Lose Weight

MyBariatricLife
on 4/30/13 1:40 pm

Most Overweight Patients Show Lasting Weight Loss One Year after Abdominoplasty

Undergoing abdominoplasty ("tummy tuck") may lead to significant and lasting weight loss for many patients-especially those who were overweight or obese before surgery, reports a pilot study in the February issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery®, the official medical journal of theAmerican Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).

The new study provides preliminary evidence that many patients have lasting weight loss after abdominoplasty-especially those who are overweight or obese before abdominoplasty. "Satiety appears to be a prominent contributing factor, as does the amount of fat resected," the researchers conclude.

"We hypothesize that the increased satiety seen in our patients is related to changes in the neuroendocrine system," Dr. Moulton-Barrett and coauthors add. Removing fat cells from the abdomen may lead to reduced levels of hormones affecting appetite, which are secreted by fatty tissues. However, further studies would be needed to confirm this hypothesis.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/news-and-resources/press-relea se-archives/2013/many-women-have-long-term-weight-loss-after -tummy-tuck-reports-plastic-and-reconstructive-surgery.html

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

ReadyforPlastics
on 5/1/13 2:29 am, edited 5/1/13 2:35 am

Interesting!  Thanks for posting this! 

I hope that this will lead to more research on the subject.  This study only had 20 patients, so it's hard to draw any big conclusions from it...  but this does seem to support what many of us have observed anecdotally.

So right now they are thinking it is the decrease in appetite, that removing the excess fat helps decrease the hormones tied to appetite.  I am curious to know about the post-operative metabolic boast that many seem to experience and how that plays a role.  So many say that can eat more calories and still lose weight after their PS... and I've certainly experienced that myself. 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

MyBariatricLife
on 5/1/13 12:15 pm
I had no idea!!! I am delighted to hear this and hope to experience this for myself, as well. Fingers crossed.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active