Arnica montana, Bromelain, others... experiences?

Jennifer D.
on 6/10/13 1:16 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

I've been doing reading about what is good to take around/before/after surgery.  I have heard about these 2 supplements...

Did you take them?

Did you notice a difference from other surgeries that you might have had without them?

Would love to hear about your experiences as I make my decisions.

Thanks!

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

P. Poster
on 6/10/13 1:25 am

I swear by Arnica, for any/all surgeries or injuries.  It works VERY well to aid in healing, prevent swelling, bruising, etc.  I used it beginning 3 days prior to my LBL and for 3 weeks postop.  I had hardly any bruising and very little swelling.  I also used compression garments and a binder to help with swelling. 

As anecdotal evidence- I had complete tears of 3 ligaments in my left foot/ankle last summer.  I went on the Arnica internally and used the Arnica rub externally immediately.  I am fairly certain doing that and getting in for casting right away (instead of having to wait for swelling to go down) saved me from surgery on that injury.  I was out of the cast in about 4 weeks, then in a boot for another few weeks and in PT.  I have no lingering issues from that injury. 

MyBariatricLife
on 6/10/13 1:29 am

I took the arnica montana on the advice of a few other PS patients on this board. I think that it helped, but of course I do not know what I would have been like without them. The reason that I believe it helped is because my swelling went down pretty quickly as compared to what many other patients here have written about their swelling. I am 7-weeks post op and down 1-2 pants sizes and lost 10.5" so far with 6" of that off my waist. 

I believe in food as medicine, supplements included, so I did some research on healing foods after surgery. I used the healing foods and supplements recommended by a physician (I don't recall now if he was a surgeon or not), as well as supplements recommended by other patients or supplements that I was already taking or knew the health benefits of. The point that I am getting to is that I don't believe that just taking arnica montana in and of itself will produce dramatic results but rather incorporate it as one of the supplements you use along with healing foods and other supplements.

I highly recommend glutamine powder. It was endorsed to me by two physicians.

Good luck!!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Jennifer D.
on 6/10/13 2:13 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

Could you share the food list you used with me?

thanks so much!

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

MyBariatricLife
on 6/10/13 2:48 am

Here is the list of foods -- and some items I wished I had bought before surgery and ended up buying afterwards: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160590/bariatr ic-life-tells-tummy

Here is a list of the supplements I bought or had on hand before surgery: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160589/bariatr ic-life-tells-tummy

And if you want to read about my experience having the TT, here is a blow by blow account of it: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160586/bariatr ic-abdominoplasty-ch?ap=831 Don't let it scare you. It was published to help prepare people. And I can tell you that everything came out A-OK - you'll see that if you read to the end.

Good luck on completing your long weight-loss journey and congrats on your transformation!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

exohexoh
on 6/10/13 2:59 am - West Chester, PA
I haven't taken any additional supplements and I can't imagine things going much smoother. I am swollen but that's a part of healing. My surgeon doesn't use any binders or compression for at least a week, so I may be a bit more swollen because of that but it isn't unmanageable. I'd rather get the swelling out of my system ASAP anyway!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Thininmymind
on 6/10/13 3:41 am

I used both for my LBL. I did not for my BL, but the two surgeries are so different, its impossible to compare. I do know that my plastic surgeon and all his staff kept commenting on how much faster and easier I seemed to recover than most patients from my LBL. He doesn't recommend supplements for his patients. I took them on my own. I had minimal lipo on my outer thighs and it hurt a lot, but I could only barely see the littlest bit of bruising if I looked really close. My drains were all out by day 9, and I think my swelling was significant but still less than many experience. At 2.5 months I don't swell a lot and I haven't worn compression since 8 weeks out. Its impossible to know what the supplements did, but I will definitely take them again for surgery just in case.

Gastric Sleeve July 2011 Steven Simper - BL January 2013 Brian Brzowski - LBL March 2013 Brian Brzowski

heatherlee917
on 6/10/13 9:42 am - MA

My surgeon just suggested arnica montana to me today at my pre op appointment, I will be picking that up among other things such as zinc and bromelain. so nervous and excited I cannot wait. 

Jennifer D.
on 6/11/13 2:17 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

Who is doing your PS?  I am seeing Kruger for my follow up since I moved to MA after RNY :)

Most Active