Incision leak and belly button ?

Cinn
on 6/17/13 8:54 am - MI

First, I had a little set back. My incision at the top of my butt crack, by my tail bone, started leaking. I remember the surgeon talking about it with his students while marking me up before surgery. He spent about 1/2 hour marking me up with sharpies. He explained to the students that the shape of my behind was a little different and he was pointing out the tail bone area. He said he'd have to go inside the crack as well. Well he did! And it's nearly impossible not to put pressure on that area when you sit or lie. So it began to leak. Gauze and tape are working and it's not heavy. It's the color of my drains. So I'm back on the couch and not moving much.

Second is a question. My entire belly button had to be reconstructed. It's kind of gross. And it seeps and well, it smells! Am I the only one with this disgusting situation? Is your belly button like this?

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

Angela B.
on 6/17/13 9:02 am - Austin, IN
if it has a bad odor I would go to the ER that sounds like an infection.

exohexoh
on 6/17/13 11:28 am - West Chester, PA
My belly button just looks like it has dried blood in it. I've gently put my finger in with a washcloth but nothing comes off easily so I'm guessing its scabbed. Mine was just reattached. But I would call if it has an odor

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

RobynJC
on 6/17/13 11:37 am

Sorry to hear that.  Ouch on your back incision. I hope it resolves soon.  

To answer your second question, my belly button has a ring of crusty scab around it.  No smell and it doesn't seep.  It is red and kinda angry tooking, but I figure if someone plucked me out of the warm comfy spot I've been all my life and then repositioned me and put stitches all thru me, I'd be mad too.  :-) 

You may want to give the doc a call.  My doc said to take wounds opening up seriously so she'd be my first call in the morning if it were me. 

Good luck!!

MyBariatricLife
on 6/17/13 11:53 am

I agree that smell may indicate infection and that you need to call your surgeon. Good luck for a speedy recovery!

I had a dry scab on my BB and it fell off after several weeks. There was no seepage or odor.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

emelar
on 6/17/13 10:25 pm - TX

On the butt crack, I had a small opening there for awhile. Doc said its an area of high tension and that's common. I just kept putting antibiotic cream and a bandage or sanitary napkin over it for the drainage. It closed up just fine all on its own. 

I agree with the others about the belly button. Smell=infection. 

Most Active