Using sick leave for plastic surgery?

Mlkpas
on 6/26/13 5:56 am - Pasadena, CA

I wanted to keep my WLS private and I used vacation time, rather than sick time, for my surgery and recovery.  Same with my facelift a year later.  Now I am looking at a tummy tuck and for a variety of reasons I am thinking I'd like to take sick time rather than vacation time.

Have any of you used sick time for plastics?  What if your plastics were cosmetic only, rather than, say, a medically-necessary panni removal?  I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

momma_dee
on 6/26/13 6:14 am

I used sick leave for my panniculectomy. I would think it would be permissible to use, because you are under a doctor's care, even if it is an elective or cosmetic.

RobynJC
on 6/26/13 10:28 am

My company specifically excludes plastic surgery for medical leave.  So I had to take PTO time for it and I wasn't eligible for any of the medical leave benefits either.  You will want to check your HR policy, mine was very specific about it. 

MyBariatricLife
on 6/27/13 2:43 am

I really do not think that is fair. It is what it is, but did you agree with their policy on this?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

P. Poster
on 6/26/13 12:33 pm

I took vacation for mine, but ended up getting "laid off" after the complications set in and I couldnt come back when my vacation time was up.  Plan for the worst...  Do your research.  Have a backup plan.

MyBariatricLife
on 6/27/13 2:42 am

OMG, P.Poster, that is awful!!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

P. Poster
on 6/27/13 11:58 am

This has been the most awful experience of my life.  Having plastic surgery literally ruined my life, and I wish everyday I could go back and undo it.  It was NOT worth it.  I've always been a pretty happy person, but this, this has brought me as close to my end as I believe possible. 

MyBariatricLife
on 6/27/13 12:21 pm

I am so sorry to hear this, P Poster. I truly am. I had no idea you were going through something like this. And here we are all with rose colored glasses on saying how wonderful life is after plastics. Do you want to share about what happened? It is perfectly fine if you do not but I have found a lot of support here. Truly sorry!!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Mlkpas
on 6/27/13 11:38 am - Pasadena, CA

Wow, that's awful, P Poster!  That puts the fear of God into me!

I asked HR if there were any restrictions about using sick leave for "elective surgery," and they said no.  I am only a week or so short of the vacation time I need so I think I will do part sick leave and part vacation time.

Thanks for the input!

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Most Active