4-5 weeks with a !@#$%^ drain

Cinn
on 6/29/13 9:27 am - MI

I'm 3 weeks out and still have one drain in. It's putting out up to 40 cc a day of fluid. The surgeon accused me of not wearing my binder tight enough. I AM! It's almost cutting off my circulation. But my belly is still very swollen. He said I'll just have a drain then "for weeks and weeks."  I'm not happy. Any tips of helping with swelling?

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

jeterway
on 6/29/13 10:06 am
Did you take bromelien? It helps control swelling. I had a drain that stayed in for some time with my thigh lift. If you are still swollen, it is best that it stays in, you don't want a seroma. How much are you moving around, I would think that would help. Do you wear the binder all of the time? That should help prevent any additional swelling. Once you see it going down some, tighten the binder. That is really all I can suggest. I know they are annoying but they are very much a necessary evil.

Cinn
on 6/29/13 10:20 am - MI

Nope, not taking Bromelien. I'll ask about it. I wear the binder 24/7 except for showering. I guess I need to be patient but it's so hard. I'm so sick of this thing! Ugh. No, I don't want a seroma.

Angela B.
on 6/29/13 11:03 am - Austin, IN
I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I'm still producing 40 - 50 cc daily. The stitch that was holding the drain in pulled out of my skin a couple days ago so I put a steristrip on it to keep it from sliding out. I thought "swell hell" is supposed to start at about 3 weeks post op so more swelling is normal at this point, right? With or without the drain still in, is that correct? I have been wondering about that since I'm almost at 3 weeks. I hope someone out there can advise on this.

Cinn
on 6/30/13 9:16 am - MI

It gets worse. My one remaining drain busted last night. The little stopper just disappeared. So the bulb won't deflate. I stuff it with q tips but it doesn't last. I've tried every tiny thing I can find in the house. I've even sat and squeezed the bulb myself! I'm swollen more than ever now. I have an appointment late tomorrow evening. We'll see if he pulls this drain or gives me a new stopper or what.

jeterway
on 6/30/13 12:38 pm

If the stopper isn't in the bulb anymore, you can't create the suction that the drain needs to continue to drain the crap out of your body.  Perhaps put some plastic wrap over the opening and wrap a rubber band around it.  You have to create some sort of seal on that opening where the stopper is would be.  Remember to squash the bulb first so that it creates suction.  Please be sure to keep the area clean as you don't want anything nasty to get in there and wind up getting into your incision.  Changing the bulb is easy for the doc.  Make sure that you continue to strip that drain - don't want any clots forming right inside of the incision spot.

RobynJC
on 6/30/13 11:08 pm

Not for nutin' but first off your doc sounds like a jerk.   40 is still a lot at week 3, so the drain is doing it's job.  But I understand, it s tough to not hate the drain.   

Sorry, I got nothing for advice on how to reduce the swelling.  I'm still figuring that out on my own too.  I am noticing, and maybe it is a coincidence, but when I ea****ermelon, I feel a little bit less swollen and I pee a lot.  Watermelon has always been a diuretic for me so I could just be imagining it.  But since I like watermelon anyway, I'm gonna keep eating it.  :-)

Good luck to you!!! 

MyBariatricLife
on 6/30/13 11:18 pm

Eating pineapple (fresh) is supposed to help reduce swelling... 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

jeterway
on 7/1/13 9:14 pm

I believe that pineapple contains bromelein which helps reduce swelling.  So you can either take the supplement or eat fresh pineapple.

exohexoh
on 7/1/13 12:41 am - West Chester, PA
I find on days I drink lots of tea it's a little better but it's been too damn hot lately!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active