Received Insurance Approval

Graceful1969
on 7/2/13 11:41 pm

Finished up documenting 3 months of rashes under my belly flap, June 4th.  Everything was submitted to insurance by the following week.  I got a call yesterday saying I was approved for panniculectomy and abdominolplasty.  I am so excited and nervous and scared, but also relieved.  I was surprised they approved the abdominoplasty, I've always heard that's more of a cosmetic procedure.  Oh well, I'll take it.

Laura in Texas
on 7/3/13 12:15 am

Be sure to ask your surgeon what exactly is meant by "abdominoplasty". A friend thought she was getting one but al it meant was her belly button was moved (important and usually not included in a panni) but hers was definitely NOT an abdominoplasty in what we think the word means (nice low scar, muscle tightening, skin pulled tight). She is not happy with her results and thought she understood what she was getting but she was wrong.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Graceful1969
on 7/3/13 5:56 am

Good to know, I have no clue about any of this.  I will definatly be asking more questions.  Thank you!

Graceful1969
on 7/3/13 6:31 am

Ok, you had me freaked out, so I asked the surgeons office that question and here is what they replied.

"An abdominoplasty is the medical term for a tummy tuck. You are correct that insurance companies don’t cover a tummy tuck for cosmetic reasons. What you did by going to see Dr. Brogren was to demonstrate to the insurance company that you needed an abdominoplasty due to ‘medical necessity.” On your secondary insurance they do cover a tummy tuck if you meet medical necessity. When I submitted your case to the insurance I included a letter of medical necessity, your chart notes from Dr. Harris and Dr. Brogren as well as the pre op pictures we took. A medical director reviews all of the submitted clinical information and then makes a determination if it’s medically necessary or cosmetic. Based on the information  we submitted it is medically necessary for you to have a tummy tuck."

So yay, it is a real tummy tuck.....

Brooke F.
on 7/3/13 7:39 am - CA
It sure is! You'll be so happy once it's done! I couldn't be more thrilled with my results!!!
Brooke F.
on 7/3/13 6:22 am - CA
Mine was covered under insurance as well. I had the belly button and muscle tightening included with the approval.
Graceful1969
on 7/9/13 5:31 am

How was your recovery?  Any pointers or things that helped you make it through the first few days?

sleevegirl
on 7/7/13 2:06 am - Austin, TX

.... this gives me hope :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Graceful1969
on 7/9/13 5:34 am

We submitted for insurance approval just with the plastic surgeon pictures and notes at first.  And of course it was denied.  Then I went to my PCP and we documented everything for 3 months.  Everything we tried, prescriptions, everything.  Then resubmitted it and had an answer in under two weeks.  Now I'm waiting on approval for breast reduction/lift too.  Hopefully that goes through.  Wishing you all the luck......

Most Active