STILL swollen 8 weeks out

Cinn
on 8/6/13 5:47 am - MI

Two months out from my LBL and my belly is still swollen up like crazy. Had an aspiration attempt to drain it but there was no fluid. Surgeon just said we'll wait six weeks and see. Is this normal?

I'm beginning to think it'll never be flat.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

emelar
on 8/6/13 6:38 am - TX

Swelling can go on for a year (it's in the fine print that the never talk about!).  The worst of it is in the first 2-3 months, but you'll continue to have some swelling for awhile.  And yes, you will be flat!  I'm 6 months out and still swell in the afternoon, but it's a lot better than it was in the beginning.

MyBariatricLife
on 8/6/13 8:06 am

I really saw a huge difference at about 3.5 months post op. Within two weeks I went from a 12 to an 8. I still cannot believe I am an 8. My 14s were tight on me pre op. 

I also  felt like I would never be flat... hang in there!!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

ChaChaCha
on 8/6/13 10:40 am - Cleveland, OH
Increase your water intake and watch your sodium intake, too. The previous posters are correct...the swelling can persist for a while. But I am a HUGE believer in nutrition being a healing agent so just make sure it is working FOR you and not against you. Good luck!
          "We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
MyBariatricLife
on 8/6/13 12:58 pm

My plastic surgery P.A. told me to increase my protein intake. He said something about the protein molecules being the largest in the body and therefore water is attracted to them and expelled, therefore reducing swelling. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Southernsleever
on 8/6/13 4:39 pm

I hardly have any swelling in my tummy and haven't. I think a lot of it has to do with how active I am. Since day 2 I've been up leading mostly a regular life. Now, after a day of walking for a couple miles or dancing I do swell up that night but then it's gone again. I don't drink a lot of water and love salty foods but I DO eat a lot of protein like C said. I also try to be naked as much as possible and not use compression. Who knows which of these helps but thought I'd lend you support and possible ideas. Btw I'm 6 weeks out from LBL, arm lift, breast lift. 

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

Cinn
on 8/7/13 2:24 am - MI

Thanks for all the encouragement. Today is even worse than yesterday! I've been quite active since surgery. I'm a single mother so it wasn't really an option. I'm forcing protein for healing. Just frustrated I guess.

When I sit, the swelling is now rolling out to the sides. Ugh! When I pu**** feels like a water balloon. BUT, there isn't any fluid to aspirate, we tried that!

My surgeon said that lymph nodes sit just above the mons area and that the fluid lands in those and there isn't much you can do about it. He told me to come back in six weeks.

I just wanted to make sure this is still normal. I see all these youtube videos of people six weeks out with flat tummies, and here I am, looking six months pregnant. :(

exohexoh
on 8/15/13 9:09 am - West Chester, PA

i'm still swelling too. especially in my upper abdomen which is weird since he didn't do much work up there. my hips are down inches, but my waist is up from pre-op.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cinn
on 8/19/13 3:11 am - MI

So we're, what, 10 weeks out now? I'm more swollen than ever. My belly looks pregnant. Your comments help me so much. I can't find ANYTHING on-line that confirms this is okay. My surgeon told me last visit, "back in six weeks." So I'm not calling him. It's frustrating and very uncomfortable. I just pray this goes away one day. It's messing with my head. Here I lost this big old lump of skin and now I have a bloated belly that's wrapping around my hips again. Feels backward.

Still totally numb in a lot of places. That can probably be permanent but I don't mind too much. I just with this 'baby' would go away!

Most Active