Depressed after thigh lift; how soon for revision?

ChaChaCha
on 8/20/13 1:50 am - Cleveland, OH

Hi, I am super sad to say that I don't think I got the result I was looking for out of my thigh lift.  My skin was simply not pulled tight enough. When I saw my surgeon for a follow up I mentioned this to him and he said he erred on the conservative side because all sorts of problems can ensue with pulling the skin too tight.  I understand that the skin on the inner thigh is thinner and difficult to work with but I don't feel it was worth it. I feel like I spent all this money and did not get the result I wanted.  I am falling into a depression I have never felt before.  My mind is spinning with all kinds of thoughts ranging from having my arms and boobs done just so I can feel better about myself to doing nothing about it and wondering how long I am going to feel this way.

For those who have been in my shoes please offer some words.  If you had a procedure that disappointed you how did you cope?  I keep praying that I can accept the situation for what it is right now but it is tearing me up.  

If you had a revision surgery, how long after the original surgery did you have it?  And did you return to the same surgeon or did you are a different surgeon?

I dearly love the OH community, and I thank you in advance for your comments and support!

Jen

"We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
jeterway
on 8/20/13 2:08 am
I had a revision. I wasn't as disappointed as you seem to be just not as happy as I could be. I needed such a large amount of work done that only a certain amount could safely be done at once. Even with what I had done, I had a rough couple of days. My original surgery was in August and my revision was in February. It probably could have been done sooner but with the holidays in there, I wanted to wait. I used the same surgeon as I believed he was capable, he knew what I wanted, and he was looking out for my well being. He gave mea discount on the revision although I still had to pay for the use of the facility. While you may be disappointed so far, try to look at it from the perspective of how far you have come. I was amazed at how it changed my gait and the clothes that I could wear, so there were positive aspects to it even though I wanted it revised.

JoAnn

emelar
on 8/20/13 2:27 am - TX

I don't think most surgeons will consider a revision until you're 6 months out.  If for no other reason, it takes that long before you have a good idea of your final results. 

And, you know, post-op depression is pretty common.  So is being uber-critical of the results.  It's a stage that I suspect we've all gone through.  I had to pull out my "before" pictures to get some sense of perspective of just how fantastic my "after" was.

In the end, if you're unhappy with the results and your doc agrees he can safely remove more, I'd go back to the same doc.  It doesn't sound like you're unhappy with what he did, just that he could have done more.  The deal with revisions is that the doc will usually not charge his fee, but you have to pay for the surgery suite, anesthesia, and stuff like that.

Tess145
on 8/20/13 3:17 am - Senatobia, MS

Hi Jen:

I think we all go through some form of depression after we view our results.  We envision one result and most times receive another one.  When I had my Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck my doctor erred on conservative with the vertical cut and did not pull as tight as I wanted it for fear that I would open up at the T-section which could have lead to necrosis.  Needless to said, I healed perfectly but I have a roll of skin still when I sit down that could have been flatter.  I also had two dog ears at the end of the tummy tuck on each side that I was not happy with.  I waited 11 months and completed the butt and thigh lift and basically did a complete tummy tuck again or LBL and love these results.  I still have the upper roll left and my doctor said that he could remove more but would leave a higher scar between my breasts.  It also could be cured with a breast lift underneath with a different cut that would not show and he could take care of my arms at that time too.  This is the route that I will probably take but for right now I am satisfied on how I look when I stand up, no rolls show then.  I am saving my money to finish the process.  I will probably live with my thighs and if my husband has his way, I will be living with my roll, arms and breast too!  Look at your old pictures of your thighs and compare them to your new ones.  It really helped me to compare side by side.  I knew I wouldn't be perfect but the difference is still amazing.  Hope you feel better soon.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

MyBariatricLife
on 8/20/13 11:10 am

First, take a deep breath and then realize that you are an incredibly beautiful woman.

Next, talk to your plastic surgeon about a free revision. Some surgeon's waive their fees and even give something towards the OR fees.

Revisions can probably be done as soon as three months.

My surgeon is really great about revisions. I am having my tummy tuck and mons lift revised. I am having it done with other surgeries but he would have done it regardless. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

jsm
on 9/8/13 4:11 am, edited 9/8/13 4:13 am

I'm so sorry that you did not get the results you expected.  I am scheduled in October for the same procedure and now feeling nervous.  I think I am going to call my PS to have another consult to make sure we are on the same page.  I understand how you feel, spending all that money, going through all the emotions and ending up disappointed.  I've never had any PS and don't know anyone who has that I could talk to, but I don't understand why so many talk about the need to have a revision.  It sounds like having PS is a hit or miss. I hope you have gotten some answers from your surgeon.  Please keep in touch and let me know how you progress.

JoAnne

Most Active