Feeling sorry for myself, need to whine just a li

Megan M.
on 8/23/13 10:47 am - Canada

I don't know what's wrong with me.  I am three weeks out today.  I feel swollen, achy, sore in the strangest places, emotional, trapped in my home, edgy, tired from lack of sleep.  I have three more weeks off work and should be ecstatic, but am not.  This feeling had better shake off in a big hurry because I don't like feeling this way.  Probably normal feelings, but I sure am unhappy right now.  Oh, and I can't stand wearing pants, even undies are a challenge.  Here's to a better day tomorrow.  I hope you enjoyed a piece of cheese with my whine!

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

notoriousgrannyD
on 8/23/13 11:42 am
VSG on 10/16/12
Awwww ((((( hugs)))))) I have no.plastics experience but I know that sometimes a girl just has have a little wine, I mean whine.
. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
godzilla
on 8/23/13 3:51 pm - Israel
Sounds like normal "depression" after plastics. Your body has gone thru physical trauma and your body and mind have to catch up with each other.
Clothes-nothing fits right especially with the dang binder-I mean which goes on first, the undies or the binder? I just wore the binder and then koose 3/4 trousers with elastic waistband.
This too will pass.
Mikimi in Israel
Megan M.
on 8/23/13 7:54 pm - Canada

Thanks for the thoughts.  I feel like I'm having an out of body experience because I am just not myself.  However, I am half way through the "6 week recovery" so it's bound to get better from here on.  Trying to have a " glass half full" attitude.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

emelar
on 8/23/13 10:50 pm - TX

You definitely have stages after surgery. There's the "why the heck did I do this to myself" phase, the "WHAT the heck did I do to myself phase," depression, being hypercritical of the results, acceptance, and happiness. They happen in different orders, but hopefully you end on happiness. All you can do now is survive, because tomorrow will be better. 

MyBariatricLife
on 8/23/13 11:22 pm

Yes, I went through all of these feelings, too. And I recall feeling like I would be the one freak patient whose tummy did not flatten back down once the swelling began. But everyone here on this board told me to hang in there, and they were right! My tummy is awesome now... even my surgeon and P.A. were impressed with my results. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 8/23/13 11:29 pm

There is a book called the Emotional First Aid Kit - A Practical Guide to Life After Baraitric Surgery that I am reading right now, even though I had my RNY 10-yrs ago. I find that we go through many of the same emotions after body contouring. Perhaps it would be helpful to you during this time.

I love LOVE love my new body but sometimes I now feel shy or vulnerable whereas I did not before the TT... I don't do well with vulnerability. I think it is because the fat was removed, the protective cloak. I also look at myself and sometimes feel that I am large... but I am 5'7" and a size 8 so I cannot be all THAT big. I asked my surgeon about this and he said that maybe I am still getting used to my new body. So be prepared that you might have some other emotions to deal with as time goes on.

The first three-four weeks were the hardest for me physically and emotionally. I promise you that it does get better, in fact it gets great. Despite what I wrote above, I have never been so thrilled with my body. I never knew that I could have a body like this... voluptuous was only something I thought in my dreams, but now it is real.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Megan M.
on 8/24/13 2:56 am - Canada

I will check this book out.  I am going through all the stages mentioned above, but didn't even realize it.  I consider myself very practical with reasonable expectations, but I find myself already wishing he had "done more".  Which really isn't reasonable because I don't know what my end result will be.  I am only 5'2" and still about 175 lbs, so I didn't go into this thin and can't expect to come out of it thin.  I find my upper ab to be "fat" compared to the lower part,but that's because I have fat up there, so I can't expect it to be flat.  And who knows how much is swelling at this point.  I look so much better, and am better proportioned now.  I have to embrace that I have more of an hour glass figure than I thought.  It's just in a short body!  Heading toward acceptance and happiness now.

MyBariatricLife
on 8/24/13 3:01 am

Here is something that I wrote exploring these feelings. The Dove video that I included is a real eye opener. "Accepting Your Body and Your Sexuality at Any Size."

Be well... be happy!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Angela B.
on 8/24/13 4:23 am - Austin, IN
OK that Dove video has got me crying. I'm 2.5 months post TT and I too have been an emotional mess...so much the same as the things mentioned here already. Reading about other PS post ops experiences is an incredible help to me. I thank God for this forum and for ObesityHelp.com. We are not crazy. Its just a normal process we go through and we will make it! Thanks to all of you for being there for me. I need to pay it forward by posting my own experiences more.

Most Active