NEVER AGAIN

lswaney
on 8/29/13 9:42 am - Whiteman AFB, MO

Will I go to KU Medical!!!  I had an anchor cut tummy tuck and the results were NOT what were expected.  I have another 1 pound or so of skin they need to take off and went in today to do an in office visit to take care of the problem instead they took one look at my belly and said I have way too much skin and have to have it done in the OR.  It is going to cost me ANOTHER $2000 to fix the problem.  I left in tears cause it took all my savings to have this procedure done and its not even fixed.  Then the Dr. told me even if he does take off the skin it still may look saggy....wth????  Has anyone ever had this problem with thier anchor cut???  Im completly devestated and cannot afford to keep paying for something that should have been done right the 1st time.  He could care less I was in tears and not happy with the results.  We went over EVERYTHING including my weight which has been stable for the last 2 years.  THey even reweighed me to make sure and compared it to my last 8 month visits.  I don't know what to do!! Please give me any advice!!!

MyBariatricLife
on 8/29/13 12:19 pm, edited 8/29/13 12:19 pm

I am very sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately I have heard this story too often lately. There are surgeons out there who are unqualified to be performing body contouring on massive weight loss patients. I don't think I would go back to him. It seems like you may be throwing good money after bad. 

Is he charging you for the revision or is that the cost of the OR / anesthesia? 

What is the reason he gave for you still having saggy skin after the TT? And why would you still have sagging skin after the revision?

Who was your surgeon and how much did you pay for the TT?

I interviewed Dr. Joseph Capella for an article series on plastic surgery after weigth loss. As many people know, he is a pioneer in the field of post bariatric body contouring. We did the article precisely to help patients in making informed decisions about their surgery and their surgeon. I have not posted the entire article yet, and there are several more parts to come, but you may read the first six parts that I have posted so far: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/162591/intervi ew-capella-plastic-1?ap=831 I hope that it helps you. I wish that I had more to say that could help you in a more direct way.  

Dr. Capella did my tummy tuck and mons lift and my results were truly amazing. I never knew that I could have a body like this. In the months following surgery I lost a pretty good amount of weight, about 14lbs in addition to the 6lbs he removed. I still look great but owing to the weight loss I do have some skin laxity in my stomach when I sit (standing or laying down I am tight as a board). Conversely, my mons is a bit droopy when I stand or sit (but fine when I lay down) owing to the weight loss. Immediately and without me even asking, Dr. Capella said he would revise me, and he does not charge for that. THAT is what your surgeon should be doing.  

I wish you well.   

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

lswaney
on 8/30/13 10:04 am - Whiteman AFB, MO

My Surgeon was Dr. Panuru(sp?) he straight up told me before I had my surgery that the anchor tuck was my best bet since I had majority of my weight above my belly button.  After speaking with him yesterday he told me I will NEVER have a flat stomach and that I will always have a muffin top!!  WTH?!?!  I paid $5280 and the fees are the hospital and anesthiea he is not charging for the procedure.  BUT WHY would I go back to him if he says he can't give me what I want??  I was beyond upset and crying and he had NO sympathy what so ever.  He just said basically Im screwed.  I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 years so I felt this was the best time to do this procedure.  Now I don't know what to do.  I plan on having a breast lift with implants in March so Im hoping this next surgeon can help with some of this problem..

MyBariatricLife
on 8/30/13 10:59 am

Yes, I surely hope so, too. Are you going back to the same teaching hospital but with a different surgeon?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Christina D.
on 8/29/13 12:56 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

I suggest seeing a different plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Since you are in the KC area, may I suggest you see Dr. Barnthouse? He's my surgeon. My surgery is not until 9/9 but from the appts I've had with him, I can tell you that he has a terrific bedside manner. He was also voted by his peers as the top plastic surgeon in KC. If it were me, I'd definitely get a second opinion before I spent at more money at KU. Good luck.

Height: 5'4" Current Weight & BMI: 125.2/21.5 Lowest Weight/BMI: 125.2/21.5

Lap Band: 8/13/09 Pre-Op Weight: 245  Weight Lost: 55-60 lbs, band removed 8/2011

Revised to VSG: 8/16/12 Pre-OpWeight: 236 Weight Lost: 110.8 lbs EWL:  121%

Weight Goals: 145 lbs (normal BMI) in 32 weeks. 135 lbs in 37 weeks. 130 lbs in 45 weeks. Fitness Goals: 5 K -- 4 completed in 2013! 10k -- 1 completed 2013! Half marathon -- 3 planned for Spring 2014.

Plastic Surgery: LBL, BA/BL done by Dr. J Barnthouse  9/13.     

Quote: If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging! ~Will Rogers

lswaney
on 8/30/13 10:05 am - Whiteman AFB, MO

Thank you! I will look into it and I promise you I will NEVER go back to KU!!

Mell
on 8/30/13 1:12 am

I had an anchor cut also, my surgeon is well know and respected to do body contouring for WLS patients. I had 10lbs removed and I think he could have removed another 1 or 2 lbs but I am still only 6 weeks out.

I knew going into this that it was not going to be perfect, and I try hard to remind myself. I have issues my right side budges above the incision line the left is awesome. So after 6 months we will reassess it. I think honestly we are all different I would much rather my surgeon be conservative so I would not have multiple openings to deal with. I have one small one at the T and it is nearly healed.

I know it is frustrating, and I am sorry you are so disappointed, I don't have before and after photos yet but I will soon so you can see the difference and compare.

Good luck 

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

lswaney
on 8/30/13 10:07 am - Whiteman AFB, MO

I wasn't expecting to be perfect either but this is just not what I had been told what I would look like.  I did the anchor so I wouldn't have a muffin top but thats all I have now....don't know what to do!

Most Active