Cushioning incisions w/maxi pads

katier825
on 10/3/13 10:19 am

I have read a few references to people cushioning their incisions with maxi pads as they are thicker than gauze.  Sounds like a helpful hint.  So don't laugh at my question...I had a hysterectomy many years ago, my kids are all boys, so I never venture into that section of the store any more.  I want to have some on hand prior to my surgery.  There are way too many to choose from!  I would want unscented, but which brands come unscented? 

Any other helpful items to have on hand?

Thanks! :)

Supergirl7877
on 10/3/13 10:22 am
Just check the packaging. I bought the store brand unscented...I had to either cut off the wings or tape them together on the back. Tape is helpful to keep the pads in place. . I used them instead of gauze. Good luck!!
Laura in Texas
on 10/3/13 12:08 pm

I got super cheap ones at the dollar store. They will say "unscented" on the box. And I did not use the sticky part. They just stayed in place with my compression garment against them. Around my drains, I cut a notch in them to absorb any leakage. Hope this makes sense.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

katier825
on 10/3/13 6:34 pm
On October 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM Pacific Time, Laura8603 wrote:

I got super cheap ones at the dollar store. They will say "unscented" on the box. And I did not use the sticky part. They just stayed in place with my compression garment against them. Around my drains, I cut a notch in them to absorb any leakage. Hope this makes sense.

I never thought to look there, thanks!  I promised hubby I would get some ahead of time so he didn't have to go searching for me. LOL  Great idea to cut a notch to go around the drain.  I do understand what you mean. Will I need many?  Will a box or two be enough?

Laura in Texas
on 10/3/13 8:21 pm

I used them for a couple weeks ****il the incisions were pretty much healed) so if you find them at the dollar store, I think you should get 7-8 boxes.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

katier825
on 10/3/13 10:42 pm

ok, thanks for the info!

Most Active