Post op update LBL

katier825
on 12/8/13 6:37 pm

I was scheduled for Lower body lift, lipo and brachioplasty on 12/5.  Surgery was expected to be about 6 hours.  I had a few days prior that my sciatica acted up, so I think I was more nervous of that being a problem than the surgery itself.  Luckily that hasn't been an issue.

When I woke up in recovery, the doctor told me he was not able to do my arms.  I was a bit disappointed because I'd been saving up my vacation time all year to do the LBL and arms at the same time.  I was told ahead of time that he would start with the LBL and if there were any issues, he may need to hold off on them.  I guess I didn't expect it to happen to ME.  He said there was a lot of blood loss, also found/repaired a hernia and there may be a chance to get some of the cost reimbursed from that.  I was pretty foggy, so I will get better details when I go back for my post op tomorrow.  Surgery ended up being 7 hours and he removed over 8 lbs of skin and tissue.  I am glad that he was more concerned with my safety than getting it all done at once.

I have always taken longer to bounce back from anesthesia than some people, so I wasn't surprised that I couldn't pee after they took the catheter out.  He gave me an option of leaving it out or coming home with it for a few days.  I opted to have them put another catheter in.  It's a hassle on one hand, but I don't have to get up as often to pee as I would have with all the fluids pumped into me. The compression garments they provided have zipper/hooks & eyes down both sides. They routinely cut the crotch out for the drain tubes to run through and so one can pee without removing the garment.  I must say, on a good day, I'd never be able to get this thing on by myself!  Hubby has been very helpful, but somehow managed to get the catheter line tied in a knot.  OMG it hurts so much to laugh!  Finally I had him cut the elastic leg piece on one side to fix the problem.  I noticed a little more swelling in the mons area on that side, but will hopefully resolve itself when I switch garments.

The first time I got up it hurt so bad.  I am accustomed to using my abs to get up and have to learn to use the arms/legs more for awhile.  This is the reason I have gotten over my disappointment about the arms so quickly.  I don't think I'd be doing as well if I had to deal with them right now too.  I'll have to think about things and check my work schedule about when to do the arms.  If I can't do them by April, I will probably wait until fall.  He suggested at least a month between surgeries.

Other than the pain when coughing or laughing (hurts most), I think I am doing pretty well.  I think it hurts more from the lipo and muscle tightening than the incisions.  He did lipo my flanks and upper abdomen.  It's a bit uncomfortable getting into/out of chairs and I still can't get out of the bed by myself, but once settled anywhere, there really isn't much pain. I do have to move around a little because of my tailbone, but not unbearable.  I've been taking the percocet every 6 hours, rather than 4.  The drains (2) are not needing to be emptied as frequently.  Hopefully I will get those out on Friday. Today is the 1st day I'm home alone, but hubby works 1/2 mile down the road and will likely stop by every few hours to check on me.

I'm not as hunched over, but it still is a bit awkward with the drains.  I didn't have the patience to mess with the camera.  I think he did a great job and my tummy looks pretty flat (minus the normal swelling). I didn't notice too many stretch marks, so I assume he got most of those with the tissue removal.

So Tuesday the catheter and pain pump will come out.  Hopefully by Friday the drains.  I've been taking stool softener nightly for a month, but still haven't gone.  I'm kind of gassy and crampy.  Any suggestions to move that along?

Sorry for the novel!  I will update again in a couple of days.  Thanks for listening. :)

emelar
on 12/8/13 11:05 pm - TX

Congratulations on getting through the surgery!  Yes, be very grateful that you have use of your arms. I don't know how people manage doing upper or lower work with a tummy tuck or LBL. And don't you love it when they ask you to cough right after surgery?  Nothing like getting your attention by felling that you entire core is on fire. 

Take milk of magnesia to get going. The pain meds and anesthesia bind you up something awful. Once things are moving again, colace should do the job. 

katier825
on 12/8/13 11:09 pm

thanks for the M.O.M. tip.  I will ask hubby to pick some up today.  I don't usually have issues and don't keep that stuff in the house. I knew the pain meds would be a problem, which is one reason i have been taking less often. I haven't really had much pain, but want to stay ahead of it.

godzilla
on 12/9/13 1:15 am - Israel
Congrats on your new body!
In Israel we are recommended to grate a tomato and put olive oil over it and eat that against the constipation.
Wishing a continued smooth recovery.
Mikimi in Israel
Tess145
on 12/9/13 11:59 pm - Senatobia, MS

Congratulations!  I could not imagine doing this and not having the use of my arms.  I know it cost more to do in stages but I like it better that way plus I have always heal great.  No complaints here.  I was going to suggest the MOM but you already got that one.  My doctor gave me ducolax suppositories and they did the job in 30 minutes or less.  No waiting here.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Most Active