What do I need?

ravenbrown
on 4/1/14 5:26 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Hello!  I'm having some plastics done in late April.  I think I'm going with a LBL, BA/BL.  I have a second consult with the surgeon I selected on Monday to go over the rest of my questions (it's amazing how many questions I keep coming up with), and then my pre-op appointment the week after.  I was wondering if there are any things I will need or should make sure I have handy?  I'm going to ask the surgeon, of course, but I'm a planner, sooooo.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

godzilla
on 4/1/14 7:14 am - Israel
I have complications in my surgeries but after reading here and a few friends tips (in no logical order) I suggest:
Up your protein two weeks prior during and I think a month after. Some suggest brome lain and pineapple for healing; in Israel where I had mine - I was told zinc and vitamin A.
Toileting may be difficult due to limited movements and discomfort as well as pain killers often cause constipation so many have suggested stool softeners. I found drinking hot helped me.
Many have advised ready made meals prepared in advance and frozen or stocking up on ready to drink protein as eating appetite may be difficult the furtsr few days die to tiredness from surgery and discomfort.
I was advised to wear a sleeveless smooth nsteriL tshirt under my binder to avoid chafing near the incisions.
Be careful about lifting or straining too much the first six weeks.
I found sleeping in my recliner a blessing as getting in and out of bed and turning over were quite painful.
Shower - try to do your shower if someone is home with you in case you get faint in the first few days or if you can, put a chair or stool in the shower. In Israel if surgery is done a public hospital (as opposed to privately) it is now protocol to sit on a plastic chair in the shower room and not stand. When I had my TT in August 2011 a chair was optional but by the time I had BL/BR the chair in the shower was obligatory.
Please excuse errors in typing. I am using my iPhone and an advert keeps popping up on my page as I type do I can't even sed half if what I write and it is just after midnight here.
Mikimi in Israel
ravenbrown
on 4/2/14 5:11 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Thank you!! 

MyBariatricLife
on 4/1/14 11:01 am

I have my list here http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160589/bariatric-life-tells-tummy?ap=831

and here http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160590/bariatric-life-tells-tummy?ap=831 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

ravenbrown
on 4/2/14 5:10 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Thank you!

pineview01
on 4/27/14 1:36 pm - Davison, MI

I read thru the items you bought to sleep.  Which did you need for your thighs.  I'm looking at them and am wondering how the leg wedge worked for you?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MyBariatricLife
on 4/27/14 2:28 pm

Absolutely get a roll pillow for under your knees and keep your legs splayed open in the frog position when you use it -- very comfy for the thighs. Something new that I learned is some people like a whole body pillow for their plastics. I may try that next time. Good luck!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/2/14 4:20 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I spent four nights in hospital and the only thing I used was my chapstick. And I agree with everything Mikimi said - tshirt under the binder is wonderful. BTW abt the binder...it compresses everything including the sleeve so I have been eating way way less these days. Can't get used to the numbness....but things are so incredibly flat, I don't recognize myself. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 4/2/14 5:10 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Yeah, it's a day surgery here.  My mom is going to drop me off then come pick me up when I'm done.  I don't think I'll need to bring anything there.  Any types of Tshirts or just something cheap I can toss later?  I have freezer meals ready since I'm the only one who cooks in my family, protein powder if I don't want to eat, etc.  I can imagine the numbness is really irritating.  How does your booty look?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/2/14 7:52 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I have cotton tshirts, longish so that they go down past the hips. That way they will cushion between your skin and the torture binder. I can't imagine going home in one day after the LBL.hope your mom will stay with you and take care of you..body looks good. Tummy is flat and no major swelling so far. Butt I haven't had a good look at yet but from what I saw it looks normal which is good! Nothing that will stick out too much but not flat by any means. My breasts really took a hit though or maybe its the repositionning of the belly button coz my tube socks are stroking the new belly button! Oh well that is getting done next. And inner thighs and then I am done! Feeling better and better every day and can't wait to drive so that I can get out of the house. I did go get my nails done yesterday! Priorities!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active