Medial Thigh surgery May 1

pineview01
on 4/25/14 5:52 am, edited 4/25/14 5:54 am - Davison, MI

I finally got the insurance figured out and set for Medial Thigh lift/skin removal surgery.  This was a big surprise for me.  Saw the surgeon today and got the date to do the surgery on May 1st.  I was trying to get thing done by the end of April so doing alright.  Now I have 6 days to get everything I need together and ready.  The put me into a cancellation or it would have been May 15th.

I did ask my surgeon about compression garments and silver tape.  He doesn't recommend either much to my surprise.  I already have the tape so need advise on how and when to apply it.  I will be getting a compression garment also as he did state it helps the swelling go down faster.  But he said not to wear it until the dressings come of?????  Just need to figure out the size and order.  

Going back to reread all that great advise Emelar, RobynJC and others have already posted.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

emelar
on 4/25/14 8:58 am - TX

Congratulations on finally getting your date!

Doctor's protocols vary so much.  My surgeon puts you in the compression garment on the table.  Honestly, I think it works either way, but I have to confess I like the security of the compression garment.  It makes me feel less like everything is going to fall apart.

As really gruesome as the incision was, the recovery has been easy.  And the incision has really gone flat - it's just flat and wavy!  Waiting for the internal sutures to dissolve and even everything out.  Still have a good bit of swelling going on, but nothing that affects my movement.

pineview01
on 4/25/14 10:53 am - Davison, MI

That is good to hear!  Thank you for sharing your experience.  It has been such a great help!  Not to mention the shock I would have had upon waking.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 4/28/14 7:32 pm, edited 4/29/14 1:05 pm - Davison, MI

I have two more days to go and haven't heard if the Hematologist Ok'ed the surgery yet.  I'm getting very nervous as I have

1) purchased the garment from Marenia

2) sleep/comfort adds

3) grabber

4) more protein powder

5) female urinal (one funnel, one container type as recommended here)

6) vitimins, stool softeners and laxitives

7) pain meds from last surgery (I have never had a doctor give me the script in advance as they say you may not follow thru with surgery.)

8) Scar tape

9) cover pads-bed/recliner

10) cleaning everything in the house and have two sets of clean sheets laid out for hubby to change my bed.  He says he is going to help me this time, we will see

What am I forgetting?

emelar
on 4/29/14 2:08 am - TX

I think you have things covered.  What do you mean your doc won't give you the pain meds prescription in advance?!?  I've always had mine called in about a week before surgery.  Heh, by that time, they've got your money - no reason to think you're not going to show up.

I wish you the very best of luck and an easy, complication-free recovery.

pineview01
on 4/29/14 1:04 pm - Davison, MI

With all mine and DH's surgeries, I had breast implants, implant removal, band, band removal sleeve and face lift. The DH had two knee replacement surgeries and every time I ask and every time have been told, no prescriptions for pain meds until released from hospital.  They told me that was standard practice and as it included four different hospital and different surgeons I thought it was so.  I asked and was told that some people may fill the scripts and back out of surgery.  Seems like a lot to go thru to get pain meds to my but, I guess they see all kinds. Know it sounds like I have been lied to.

Every time I have to take the script to drug store and drop it off on the way home and than DH (or me when him,) would have to run out and get it.

Thank You for the well wishes.

The first of the packages arrived today.  Got the pillow for under the knees for frog position

jeterway
on 4/29/14 8:15 pm

Sending good wishes your way for surgery tomorrow.

Most Active