Compression garment

pineview01
on 5/4/14 10:24 am - Davison, MI

For those of you that had info from your surgeon, how long a day were you instructed to wear them?  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

emelar
on 5/4/14 10:51 am - TX

Pretty much all the time except for showering and when it's being washed.  That's for the first three weeks, then continue for the next three weeks, but notas continuously. 

Howd the surgery go?

jeterway
on 5/4/14 12:00 pm

I believe I had to wear mine full time for four weeks then twelve hours a day for the next four.

pineview01
on 5/4/14 3:05 pm - Davison, MI

Thank you, going back to put it on.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

hollykim
on 5/5/14 12:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

23 hours a day. Off one hour for shower. I. Had two garments ,one to wear while one was being washed. I had to wear mine for 6 weeks.

gl

pineview01
on 5/5/14 8:13 am - Davison, MI

It is hard to make yourself wear one when it isn't ordered from the surgeon and it makes you feel worse.  I woke today and thought I could just go as that hole in the garment is so big you should be able to just go.  I have one side of my hooch swollen 10X bigger than the other side and I think this is causing the stream to go off side.  It looks like a goose egg and it also is keeping the female urinal from “sealing.”   I came out with urine all over it. Trying to dry it now as I didn’t get the second yet as I wanted to make sure this one fit after surgery.  

I was in the hospital 4 days and didn’t wear the garment as I just had gauze dressing.

emelar
on 5/5/14 9:46 am - TX

Since this surgery didn't involved the abdomen, I'd usually unzip it and pull it down to go to the toilet.  Yes, things get swollen, and the two sides don't heal exactly the same.

pineview01
on 5/5/14 12:11 pm - Davison, MI

That is what I am doing.  I called and they don't make a garment that goes down past the knees and a low waist.  These will work.  

Did you guys ice down?  The paper work doesn't say anything about that either.

emelar
on 5/5/14 12:14 pm - TX

No ice.  No heat.  Just compression.

jeterway
on 5/5/14 8:58 am

I came out of the OR with it on.  One of the surgical nurses puts it on at the end of the surgery.  So I didn't really have any bad swelling like you are describing.  I was able to urinate without the use of the female urinal - which I did have - and without getting urine all over myself.  I actually felt safer in the garment.  I was so concerned about incisions opening based on everything I had read that I felt more secure in the garment.  I also wasn't pulled so tight that I had issues sitting down.  I actually bought spanx like garments to wear afterwards.  In the winter time, I still wear them to keep warm.

Most Active