Hematoma with thigh lift

pineview01
on 5/8/14 4:39 am, edited 5/8/14 5:12 am - Davison, MI

Some one here had a hematoma with their thigh lift.  They were telling how much longer it took to heal.  I can't find the post with search.  I had a hematoma in the right leg and the surgeon wants to wait and see. It was causes by potty issues as something tore open from the straining. He also took the drains out at 4 days as he feels the longer left in the more chance of infection.  So now the thigh is twice the size as the other and they looked so great after surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

emelar
on 5/8/14 6:14 am - TX

Healing is a ***** isn't it?  My thighs were pencil thin right after surgery.  I haven't seen that look again since.  I'm fully mobile, and have been for some time, but the swelling just won't completely go away.  Can't help you on the hematoma - didn't have one of those!

I was thinking about you today.  I had the consult for the lower face lift and was surprised to find that he insists you stay overnight. [He didn't require an overnight stay for the thigh lift, and doesn't require it for the breast lift/brachioplasty].  He said that because of the risk of bleeding with the face, he wants eyes on you for 24 hours after the procedure so it can be addressed right away.  It rarely happens, but when it does, it needs to be taken care of right away.

pineview01
on 5/8/14 7:26 am - Davison, MI

Isn't that a grin.  My hematologist stated the the face was the bloodiest.  My surgeon didn't require me to stay and look what happened.  Than he requirs me to stay over night for the thighs, just in case, and keeps me for four days.  In doing so, it caused the issue that caused the tearing and problems.

Any way the left thigh looks as good as it did right out of surgery already at one weeks.  If I didn't have the problem with the left, I be on top of the world.  My incisions looked great out of surgery.  The surgeon did beautiful work.  

That's what make this a double disappointment as the left can't come back completely from this damage.  That is why I was hopping to see how the other persons was handled.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MyBariatricLife
on 5/9/14 3:13 am

I had facial rejuvenation 2-mod after my stage 2 body contouring. My stage 2 body contouring was 4 procedures (including thighs) and I was cut all over my body but I had very little bleeding. But I bleed very badly with the face work. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/14 9:21 am

Unfortunately, hematomas or the accumulation of blood can occur with any surgery and even with drains in place. Sometimes the blood "liquefies" and it is able to be aspirated out at about the 10th day. In either case , it takes months for it totally to resolve.

pineview01
on 5/8/14 3:47 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You.  Does it always reabsorb with time?

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/14 1:31 am

Yes, but it will cause scar tissue which actually may cause some tightening. During the time it is absorbing, the area is hard, uneven, swollen.

pineview01
on 5/9/14 12:22 pm - Davison, MI

Thank you!  If I have scare tissue everywhere it bleed that is a lot of scare tissue.  It covers the whole front and underneath too.

pineview01
on 5/13/14 11:49 am - Davison, MI

I went to see the surgeon Monday as the area was so very hard in the groin.  He is still taking a wait and see approach.  He did remove the stitches in both legs.  I thought he was just going to remove them from the good leg but he removed them from both.  Today I started bleeding from the upper inner thigh.  It looks like old stuff so I'm not sweating it but, it would seem if the blood can ooze out than infection can get in.

emelar
on 5/13/14 11:21 pm - TX

Call your doc. But he'll probably tell you to put an antibacterial cream on it and cover it - bandage or bandaid depending on the size. Leaving the stitches in too long can cause problems too. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm sorry you're having this issue. These problems after ps really throw us for a loop. 

Most Active