One Month Post LBL

Terry H.
on 5/27/14 1:45 am

What a month.  I've posted a two week update so I'll take it from there.  The third and fourth weeks showed dramatic improvement in my mood and recovery (thankfully).  I have four issues that we are dealing with now but nothing that is totally unexpected.  First, I have a small opening in my incision line in the front.  It seems that accumulated fluid after my drains were removed found a path to the surface.  I have (or rather my wife has) to pack the wound with a treated gauze strip twice a day so that it heals from the inside out and doesn't form a long plug of scar tissue.  I don't know how long it will take to heal, but it is a minor inconvenience right now and doesn't hurt (even during packing).  The second issue is fluid retention.  At my one month follow up we aspirated a pocket on one of my hips.  My blood sugar started falling and we stopped.  I got a cookie (first one in three years) to get my sugar back up.  Just in the last couple of days, I can tell the fluid is starting to leave though.  I'm far less swollen than I have been.  Even with the compression gear on, I can wear the largest of my pants from before surgery.  So I think soon I'll be back in my good pants or maybe even a little smaller - but that might be dreaming.  If the fluid is still there at my next visit in two weeks, he will aspirate some more.  He used a local that was excellent though and I didn't feel a thing.  My weight is starting to go down, so that confirms the fluid is getting out of my system (YAY).  The third issue is that my belly button and the skin directly below is healing slowly.  The belly button has some grey skin that he says will likely slough off soon and be fine.  The area below that was rock hard and angry looking with red and white streaks.  Finally, the pressure on that area is reducing and I've seen a lot of improvement in the last few days, so I think it will be OK soon.  The last problem is constipation.  I've had to decide to up my fiber carbs substantially to augment the colace and laxatives I was taking.  That seems to be working for me (at least as of today), but it was a tough decision after being low carb for so long.  Still... better to carry some water weight due to the carbs than the constipation, so for now I'm happy with the choice.  

I'm finally working from my office chair.   I worked for two weeks from the recliner and that was not comfortable at all.  The doctor told me that I can start challenging my flexibility some, so I'm taking it slowly and working back to normal.  Hopefully the next two weeks will see me back to the 80% mark as per the normal course of healing.  Every day gets a little better. 

Terry

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

godzilla
on 5/27/14 3:35 am - Israel
So good to read your update!
I still believe in keeping your protein up as much you are able.
Plenty of liquids in will help lubricate your insides to hopefully toilet without difficulty or pain. Some pain meds can cause constipation.
Keep an eye on your sloughy belly button as my non belly button sloughed (size of a dime) to gangrene and I had debridement and WoundVac. And I had dehiscence too.
Hang tough and keep us posted so we can give you extra emotional support than just your wife.
If you want to talk, look up my number that I wrote you in a pm two weeks ago.
Mikimi in Israel
Terry H.
on 5/27/14 3:58 am

Thanks Mikimi.  I'm still keeping protein high and I've charged up for more liquids too.  I'm off pain meds, so hopefully any part they are playing should be gone (or gone soon).  As for the bb and dehiscense... OMG am I worried about that and I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.  Thanks for the support you are giving me here.  Its terrible when we do have complications but good to hear that I'm not alone with these issues.  Its good to know you are a phone call away if I need someone to talk to.

godzilla
on 5/27/14 4:12 am - Israel
In Israel after bariatric surgery and constipation issues it is recommended a grated tomatoe with olive oil on it. Maybe that would help? Or the new hype these days are coconut oil, and chia seeds which I have not tried. Coconut oil I add to my heated food or have spread on a rice cake. Consider if/how coconut oil fits your eating/dietary plan. I found my hba1c dropped to 3.7 and I was a borderline diabetic before RnY. And I go to the toilet a lot even when I take oxy (10mg).
I'm so happy your wife is willing to help you medically!
emelar
on 5/27/14 5:01 am - TX

Sounds like all is going pretty well except for the damned fluid!  Keep a watchful eye on the opening and the skin around the bb, but the body has a wonderful way of healing itself, even if it takes a little while to get there.

Terry H.
on 5/28/14 5:30 am

You are right emelar, I'm sure that the healing will go OK.  I can feel improvement in the last few days on the fluid retention.  It will be good when I once again feel comfortable in my own skin!  Fluids, protein, keeping up with wound care, moving around, massaging the scar line, keeping compression on all the time, starting to recover my flexibility...so many facets of recovery.  However, it gets easier ever single day.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Most Active