Brachioplasty- Bat Wing surg..... want to hear everything...

AlohaJen
on 6/2/14 5:21 am
RNY on 09/05/12

Am considering having my arms done this Winter, would like to hear from anyone that has had it done .... the good, the bad and the ugly!  Thanks....

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

katier825
on 6/2/14 8:08 pm

I had it done a few weeks ago and am very pleased!  Not a lot of "pain" but there was some discomfort - very sore feeling, mostly from the lipo.  I was supposed to get it done in Dec. along with my LBL, but had some issues and the doctor had to stop before he could do the arms.  I didn't want to take a medical leave, so I waited until I had enough vacation saved up to do it. 

My doctor uses ace wraps.  I did not have drains, although I expected I would, so that was a pleasant surprise. It's still a bit swollen - he said a few more weeks of that probably.  Incisions are healing nicely now. I did have a yucky looking spot on one, but after another antibiotic, it's fine. It never opened up, just one section was a bit red and didn't look like the rest.  I can't see the scars from the front, but can if I hold them up in the air.  I can see more than I expected from the back, but that will likely change when the swelling goes down.  In the armpit area, the scar is more to the back of the armpit.  I can actually shave most of the area using the tiny razors I had in the cabinet. I think they were by Noxema and were for bikini area. I found them when I had my BL/BA.  Turned out to be very convenient.  I was a little worried about not being able to use deoderant, but it wasn't a problem and I can use it now, but I try to keep it away from the incision just in case.

Surgery was about 2 hours.  He took 3 lbs skin/tissue and 4 lbs lipo.  I took off about 11 days from work.  I have a desk job and was fine to go back, although it was uncomfortable in my work clothes for the first couple of weeks.  The incision line runs close to the seams on my shirt and sometimes they would irritate me. I did have hubby wrap them for a few days but the wraps would fall off.  Most comfortable were tanks with cardigans of tee-shirt fabric. I bought a couple to help me get by.

I still sleep in the recliner.  Slept one night in the bed and must have had my hand under my head and it's bothered me a few days since.  Dr said it was the tendon in my wrist. So to avoid that, I'll stick to the recliner a little longer.

As for good, bad, ugly...I'd have to say 99% good.  The only bad thing was I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (hives) over the holiday of course and had to take Prednisone and Benedryl to combat that.

I have no regrets and thought it was the easiest of any of my surgeries.  Good luck!

AlohaJen
on 6/2/14 9:02 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

Katie, thank you so much for your reply..... it sounds like you have done really well..... I too have a desk job on a computer and work 4/10 hr days.... my HR lady suggested that I go ahead and plan to take a full 4 weeks and if I feel like coming back early then I can. Plus I have an hour commute each way and that will be hard on tired arms.... Thanks for good wishes too...

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

katier825
on 6/3/14 8:19 am

It's good if you can plan a little longer, just in case you need it.  Driving and even riding in the car were a little uncomfortable the first couple of weeks. I was more comfortable if I cushioned my elbows.  I had rolled up towels in one car and small pillows in the other. Either works.  You might want to have something handy for such a long commute.  My elbows are still a little sensitive on the hard surfaces of my desk or kitchen table.

AZDee
on 6/15/14 5:01 am - Gilbert, AZ

I never had any issues with my arms after surgery.  Sure I never lifted anything heavy but i was able to use them for the most basic functions.  I believe wearing the support sleeves helped the most.  They gave me a extra feeling of support.  It felt like everything was all nice and tight and that I wasn't about to split anything open.  I believe it was the support sleeves that enabled me to have such fine line scars.  The sleeves became my security blanket, I did not want to give them up....

AZDee
on 6/15/14 5:07 am - Gilbert, AZ

I do have a before and after picture of my arms on my profile page if you want to take a look...

Most Active