Protein shakes

boricua408
on 6/19/14 10:51 am

I never used protein shakes after mt RNY due To taste, but want to start now to promote healing, I'm good about getting it through food But want extra. So my question is what are your favorites RTD and protein bars? Help!!!!

godzilla
on 6/19/14 4:14 pm - Israel
RTD drinks where I live (Israel) is very pricey.
Protein bars I buy what is on sale in health food shops or the gym.
I even to this day (my RnY was 3Feb'08) make a stink out of protein powder and I always return to my chocolate and it must be very cold.
I've tried several brands and a few flavored but in the end I go back to chocolate and whatever is price cheapest without compromising my grams of protein and is low-carb.
Sorry I'm not much help. You could buy a small container of protein powder (under a kilo) and use a shaker bottle with ice (no need to take out a blender or magic bullet unless you feel you need to)and with the drink in a closed container with pop-up kid, you don't necessarily smell the protein powder.
I'm not sure if you already had your surgery or are about to - so smooth surgery and even smoother recovery and healing!
Mikimi in Israel
Trish06
on 6/19/14 11:41 pm
DS on 12/06/12

I dont really use RTD protein unless I'm somewhere and got caught without my drinks. I use syntrax nectar I buy some single serving ones to travel other wise I buy the big jugs of the whey and love it. I drink at the very least 3 a day. The lemon tea is a favorite right now. Good luck

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

RobynJC
on 6/21/14 4:23 am

I like Isopure Low Carb in chocolate (it is a powder) and I mix it with decaf coffee and a little bit of sugar free Coffee Mate (usually the vanilla caramel). 2 scoops equals 50 grams so this will give you more than enough foe a day or even two. Spread it across the day so you are pacing the absorption

There is also a brand called Juven, by the makers of Ensure. It is orange flavored, mix with water. That one is only 14g per packet and can be a little pricey, but it is nice for a change every now and then.

Both of these can be found on Amazon 

For bars, the Atkins ones are ok be careful of sugar on a lot of bars. Also Pure Protein. These are good for on the go and I do usually keep one in my purse but I try not to use bars that often. 

I actually JUST had a conversation with a dietician about protein today. She noted that even those with wound healing really only need like 100 g a day tops.  The ratio was supposed to be 0.8 per ideal weight (not current weight). So if your ideal weight is 115, then doing the math that is 92 grams a day. 

pineview01
on 6/22/14 3:13 pm - Davison, MI

I used the Premier Protein RTD but I had trouble with them and others hear have reported having some problems.  I'm not sure if it is the product or how Sams/Costco handle them.  I just prefer the Syntrax Nectar protein powder.  I use the Cappuccino in my coffee in the am.  Right before surgery I started doing adding a Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel with Crystal Light orange and for my snack every night a Quest Protein Bar.  I love the Quest Protein Bars.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Irisher
on 6/24/14 6:53 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 12/27/12

My favorites are:

• Unjury Chicken Soup which is like bouillon and I enjoy sipping it when I'm not in the mood for something sweet. 
  • Syntrax Vanilla Bean Torte which I use to make all different kinds of flavors by adding a tablespoon of sugar-free instant pudding mix (butterscotch, chocolate, pistachio...the options are endless!) I always mix with some sort of milk (dairy, almond, hemp, soy) instead of water for that creaminess I love.  
  • As for bars, I love Quest best, but I am also very fond of Power Crunch. The Power Crunch come in a variety of flavors and are reminiscent of a Kit-Kat. They are made with high-quality whey protein, but are also somewhat controversial because of their nutritional stats: 200 cal., 13g fat, 8g carb, 14g protein. They work in my food plan, but I respect that they don't work for everyone.

Good luck on your search for palatable protein!

Sharon Larson
on 6/24/14 7:20 am - Van Nuys, CA

My two favorite brands are Pure Protein (banana and strawberry, over ice or very cold) and Labrada Lean Body (Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream).  The Labrada is my very favorite because of the taste.  It truly tastes like melted ice cream with none of that usual protein drink aftertaste.  I'm 9 years post-op and I still have one every day for breakfast or dinner.  The Labrada is the more filling of the two, because it has some fat in it (good fat).  Sometimes I dilute it with almond milk because the drink is very rich.  Just put about 1 cup of almond milk in it and it's delicious!

David147
on 7/4/15 4:29 am

Protein need to lose weight and to repair muscle after working out. When muscles repair themselves, they grow. But that depends on the type of exercise. Usually lifting heavy weights breaks muscles more. So, there is more growth during repairs. Add a healthy fat into your diet, too. Salmon, flax seeds, nuts, olive oil.

Most Active