Almost 2 weeks out from Arm Lift and Breast Lift - Swell Hell

RobynJC
on 8/25/14 1:02 am

Hello All!

So all in all, I am doing well.  Minimal pain, in fact stopped the Percs 5 days post op (not that I took that much of them to begin with, I'm such a light weight with narcotics, 1/2 a Perc makes me wavy!).  I take about 4 Tylenol a day and have been able to manage on that.  Right now my biggest challenges are:

1. Swell hell.  I know it is part of the healing process.  But damn it is uncomfortable.  My Left side especially is really swollen.  When looking at both hands, it is almost tough to tell that they both belong to the same body.  My right is a little swollen but looks fairly normal.  My left however is trying to double as the Stay Puff Marshmellow Man's hand.  And oh my! are my forearms tender.   My tummy is also a bit swollen.  At least I hope that muffin top that won't go away is just edema.  I've been trying to be very diligent about calories in since I know the calories out just reduced dramatically.  I haven't weighed myself because the edema is so bad, if I gained a lot, I know it will bum me out.  

2. Range of motion is reduced.  Since I have incisions that extend to my arm pits, I can't reach out for stuff or raise my arms much beyond shoulder hight.  This may sound trivial but it is getting frustrating since I am only 5'3" so now I really can't reach much.  I've restored to carrying my step stool around the house so I can step on it to reach things that I used to be able to reach.  On a happy note, my calves are going to be ROCKIN' by the time this is done from all the tip toe action.  :-) 

3. My stamina has taken a hit.  I get really tired fast.  I mean, I have run 1/2 marathons that make me less tired than the few hours at the mall with my mom Saturday did.  I know it will bounce back once the healing is done, but man oh man it is humbling.  

4. The tape they rigged up on me is killer.  It seems to have become one with my skin with no peeling off in sight.  I ordered some medical adhesive remover from Amazon that should be here on Tuesday.  Hopefully with that I will be able to get some of this stuff off soon.  It pulls and that pinch will take my breath away (no joke!)  My skin is uber sensitive, tape and I have a love/hate relationship.  

5. The incisions in my arm pit areas are really red and angry looking.  Kinda bunchy too.  I hope those smooth out, it will make for an interesting time trying to shave.  I plan on getting laser hair removal but that will be a couple of months away. 

I haven't taken any post op pics yet.  We had a busy weekend and since I need help getting in and out of my arm compression garments so the only time they are off is when I shower, we just haven't had time to do them yet.  Plus I still have a lot of tape on, so there isn't much to see anyway. 

My 2 week post op appointment is Thursday.  My doc took the drains out last Thursday (yay!) and from what she could see through the tape, she was pleased with the healing. 

From what I can see, my arms look good.  They are so small!  I'm very pleased with that. But I have to say..... my boobies..... HOLY SMOKES!  I cried.  Literally.  I've never had perky girls.  Ever.  I went from little boobie buds to full grown hanging knockers.  Even as a teen, I didn't have perk.   So the first time I saw the new and improved version, even with the tape..... WOW.  They are perky.  For the first time ever.  It is so drastic of a change and I am completely in awe.    It was very emotional the first time I saw them. 

Once I get the pics done, I'll post them. Hope all is well!

emelar
on 8/25/14 3:20 am - TX

Sounds like you're doing well.  Yes, every surgery comes with its own special challenges, but you've got a plan!  I'm having the same surgery in a month - not looking forward to the swelling or the limited ROM. Blech!

butterfly3851
on 8/25/14 3:43 pm - TX

I am really considering the arm lift - keep us posted!  Are you able to comb your hair, clean body, and brush your teeth ok with the pain in the arms?

So happy for you!  Hope the swelling goes down soon!

Scheduled for tummy tuck and BL Sept 24th.

RobynJC
on 8/26/14 3:14 am

Hi

I was able to brush teeth and wash face right away.  No showers till the drains came out (my docs orders due to the compression sleeves) but I was able to do sponge baths with the Ban Body Wipes with my hubby doing my back.  He also helped with hair washing in the sink till I was about 5 days out, then all he had to do is make sure all the shampoo was out.  Once the drains where out, I was able to shower on my own but move a bit slower.  I have curly hair that I sometimes straighten, that won't be happening any time soon (but then again, in the summer humidity I was not straightening all that often anyway) 

The compression sleeves are a bit of a pain.  The hooks are in the back, about shoulder height with like 7 hooks holding both sleeves together with fabric across my back.  So I can't take off my sleeves by myself because I can't reach the hooks with the limited reach.  So right now, I am showering at night when my hubby is home to help with that and then just washing my face and fixing my hair in the mornings. 

From a day-to-day life perspective, I can do some things but not others.  Like for instance, yesterday I emptied the dishwasher and was able to put away about 1/2 the dishes.  The other 1/2 required that I lift things above shoulder hight to put away so I had to leave those on the counter for my hubs to deal with when he got home.  I can't do dishes (oh boo hoo!) because of the compression garment and not wanting it to get wet (trust me, I will ride that train for as long as my hubby will let me.... :-)  but my doc did say no house work for 4 weeks) I could sweep because that is gentle w/ minimal pushing, but can't vacuum because the motion is different.  I've been cooking here and there but Sunday when I made a roast, Scott had to put it in and out of the oven because of the weight and also I had him peel the carrots because my left hand is so swollen it hurts to grasp things for any duration and holding the carrot while peeling was uncomfortable.  

Life is getting back to a more normal as I gain stamina and mobility back.  I am going to avoid lifting anything heavy per my doc's instructions though, I do get some leakage at my incision sites so flexing the muscles is likely to not help with that.  Considering I usually do resistance training 3x a week, being careful when picking up a gallon of milk is almost embarrassing.  But I think it is prudent.  

Still in swell hell but thank you for the well wishes on that.  I hope it goes down soon too.  

butterfly3851
on 8/29/14 1:48 pm - TX

Thanks for the update Robyn - keep us posted on your recovery!  Sounds like you are over the worst part!

Angela B.
on 8/30/14 9:03 am

Thank you very much for posting this update! My extended arm lift is on Wednesday (yep in four days :/) and I was starting to get really nervous about being able to take care of myself. My mother is coming to stay with me for at least the first week, but I was worried about things like showering that you just really want to be able to do alone :). It sounds like you have been able to manage pretty well, so this helps my nerves a bit. 

I'm really glad to hear your surgery went well and so far things look good!

-Angela

ChaChaCha
on 9/15/14 12:08 pm - Cleveland, OH

Great post.  And good for you!  Drink lots of water and eat lots of protein.  Has your swelling improved in the last few days?

"We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
Most Active