LBL, BL, and Arm lift at same time...how will I be mobile?

ChaChaCha
on 9/15/14 12:05 pm - Cleveland, OH

I had a lower body lift with muscle plication in 2011.  Painful recovery, but I felt my eye on the prize and it turned out to be a great result.  In 2013 I had an inner thigh lift and was completely disappointed.  My surgeon at the time didn't pull the skin tight enough, over-lipo'd the back of my right thigh, and now I have loose thighs, a loose butt, and a deep "banana fold" on the back of my right thigh.  So...next month I am having a revision to my LBL (without the muscle plication) to tighten up my stomach, re-shape my butt, and put lots of vertical tension on my upper thighs to eliminate the banana fold.  And just for good measure, I am having my boobs lifted and having my arms done at the same time.  Having only been through lower-body surgery I am well-versed at using my upper body for mobility.  A lift recliner was my best friend.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how I am going to get around with compromised lower AND upper body mobility.  Can someone share his/her experience?  

"We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
RobynJC
on 9/15/14 12:23 pm

I had a LBL last year and just had a breast & arm lift. So although not done together, I can say that all in all my arms have not been that big of a deal. I could still use them when in the down position, like as would needed to help push ourself up from a seated position. The mobility loss is upward. Reaching above shoulder height was really tough for about 2 weeks and even now at almost 5 weeks, reaching up can be a challenge. 

As far as the breast area goes, it is very tender and you will need to be careful about things brushing against them, but it didn't stop me from using my chest muscles. That was no issue.

What you are proposing is a lot of surgery at once, but it is do-able if you have some help. If pyou are on your own though, you may want to have a frank talk with your doc about that.  I couldn't imagine having my arms done without my hubby to help me with getting stuff around the house, changing dressings on the opposing arms and even getting dressed. That first week or two will be rough. 

Good ode luck to you!  Hope you heal well and fast. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/15/14 3:53 pm

My surgeon does multiple procedures at once, it's very common for him to do LBL w/ac, long thigh lift with lipo, brachioplasty and breast work.  You manage the best you can.  I really moved with care and didn't have any problems.  Just take it slow.  My surgeon keeps you in the hotel for 12 days, so his nurse can help you shower and get back into your compression garments, but after that you're on your own.  It's really much easier than it sounds.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

ChaChaCha
on 9/16/14 4:44 am - Cleveland, OH

My Mom will be staying with me just like she has for past procedures (thank god).  I am most worried about my arms and splitting open the incisions.  I will be extra mindful of them I guess.

"We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
RobynJC
on 9/18/14 8:03 am

Both of the incisions that extended into my arm pits opened. It is a major PIA but it doesn't really hurt that badly. For me, the biggest issue is that I am uber sensitive to tape, so keeping the open wound protected and lubed up with neosporin has been a challenge. Also the compression sleeves (of course!) hit those open wounds at the exact wrong spot, honestly that is probably part of the reason why they opened, so I have to wear padding there to stop it from getting worse.  I found little ways to keep them protected, it will be all about what works for you. But the best advice I can offer in that respect is do NOT do more than you should. The doc says to rest for a reason and even if you feel up to it, you could do harm.

So take this time to let your mom baby you a bit, baby yourself. Give yourself time to heal before pushing it and relax. If an open incision happens, they are fairly easy to deal with even if it is an inconvenience. 

Best of luck to you. I think you will be pleased, I know I am thrilled with my results

Sherrie P.
on 9/16/14 10:08 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am 19 days post op fleur de lis tummy tuck, arm lift and breast lift. It has been a challenge, but after the first few days I was pretty independent. My husband helped me shower and wash and dry my hair for the first week. Basically you get up and down using your leg muscles.  The breasts didn't bother me a bit. The arms are tender at the armpit area. The tummy was the worst- as you might expect.

Good luck!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Crazeru
on 9/18/14 9:37 am

I had an LBL, BL, arms and sm thigh lift. 4 days later a full neck & facelift including both lids.  I walked slow and didn't over reach for anything.  If you have stuff up high that you reach for (my cling wrap/foil is on top of a cupboard) it stayed down on the counter.  I was in Monterrey for 2 weeks, and off for 8 weeks total.  I was a slug.  Didn't do much of anything.  I came home to several puppy toys all over the floor and they stayed there for 10 days or so, because it wasn't fun to bend down and pick them up.  Oh I was almost 59 when I had my body work done and live by myself.  My daughter did do shopping and carrying in of heavy stuff.  Nothing opened up.  I did have a few small areas that took longer to heal.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

lomercha
on 9/18/14 1:46 pm

I am two weeks post op from my LBL and AL. I have had no real mobility problems. Remember that on the arms there is usually only skin removal, not involving the muscle. I have been able to be gentle to myself and still use my arms, no problem. I also had a long thigh lift at the same time. I am doing great! Good luck :)

twins4meplus1
on 9/22/14 5:15 am - St Thomas, Canada

I can't even imagine doing that many procedures at one time. I did a Fleur de Lis tummy tuck and then 6-7 months later did breast reduction and bracioplasty. I found the arm pit incisions to be the most painful and bothersome out of everything. You can't not move your arms. Arm incisions also tend to be the most problematic as far as post operative complications. Mine never opened but the one in my right arm pit did stretch out quite a bit (I am right handed). I wore my compression vest with sleeves for a very long time. Surgeons here in Ontario, Canada do tend to be conservative and will not generally book major upper and lower procedures at the same time. Generally 5 hours in the hospital OR is the max. Some work benefit plans also will not cover some patients for time off work if the procedure is classified as purely cosmetic rather then reconstructive.

Best of luck to you.

Linda 

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Most Active