Just starting this journey...

Lisa R.
on 9/25/14 3:06 pm - Madison Township, PA

It's been a LONG time since I've been on these boards, but I've got questions so here I return...

Thinking of plastic surgery at this time - not sure exactly what, and how I will pay for it, so here goes...

1.  What can I expect cost-wise if I decide to get recommendations from people here and look into a bunch of procedures all at once in an out of the country facility?

2.  How do you finance surgery here in the States?  Care credit?  I have no idea what to do.  My credit has improved, I think I would get approved  But I need so many things, I don't know where to start.

3.  When you have several things you want done, what in general goes first?

My initial thought was I wanted breast implants, which led me to find out I'd need a breast lift too.  Then the more I thought if I was going to finance that much, should I go full blown, go out of the country and get it all or most done at once?

Any help all of you can give me would be greatly appreciated...

Ihearttennis
on 9/25/14 9:52 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I am just starting too and look forward to the replies that answer your questions. 

I looked into into care credit but the interest rate was super high to finance a large amount over 24 months. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

mhurston
on 9/26/14 1:31 am
DS on 04/29/13

I too just came back to the site for specific information on this topic to begin process.  I have found several referrals but want real scoop on best course for any insurance coverage possible as well as information about California surgeon featured on the doctors that does both DS and plastic surgery and is supposed to be very good.  I first of all want to be safe but really need to have an economic option like others I am sure.  Looking for information about expectations about real results.  I am 51 and would like to understand realistic outcomes for all over firming and skin reduction and healing.  I am generally in very good health now but don't think insurance would consider my case significant enough (I don't have skin hanging 8 inches below my personal area which is what I heard was the criteria which would seem very excessive but I have loat 150 lbs. so not pretty.

Appreciate any and all information!  M

Crazeru
on 9/29/14 10:53 am

Dr Rabkin in SF is the only DS/PS that I know of in California.  Dr Rabkin did my DS, but I chose to go to Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico for my PS as I could have everything (mostly) done at one time.  The website for Dr Rabkin is  www.paclap.com

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

emelar
on 9/26/14 1:46 am - TX

Costs vary from state to state and even from city to city.  The most helpful thing you can do is locate 3-4 plastic surgeons in your area and set up consults with them.  Have some idea of what you want done, and let them advise you on which procedures they'll combine and the cost.  Some surgeons also facilitate credit applications to cover the costs.  Look at their before/after pictures.  Ask how many post-bariatric patients they have, because we have different skin issues.

Many people go out of the country for surgery.  Do the same thing (as much as possible) with the foreign surgeons.  Send them explicit pictures with some detail on what you'd like fixed.  I'd do this after a few local consults because you'll have a better idea of what you want done and can speak with more confidence with the foreign surgeon.  There's no doubt it's cheaper.  And, as long as you have no complications, it all goes well.  The big "but" is that if there are complications, your surgeon is in another country.  Can you afford to get back to him?  Do you have someone local who will do the follow-up if any is needed?  US surgeons are reluctant to take on another surgeon's work.  Just something to consider as you look and compare prices.

cutekatie
on 9/26/14 9:01 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I've only had one procedure (tummy tuck) so I can't help with your first or third question.

I do recommend seeing at least 2 surgeons to confirm that they are saying the same things in regards to what needs to be done. For example both surgeons I saw recommended an anchor cut for my tummy tuck, which was exactly what I needed.

In terms of costs both surgeons were within $2000 of each other. I took out a personal line of credit to pay for my surgery. The interest rate is high, 9%, but much lower then the care credit program, which is closer to 19-20%.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Lisa R.
on 9/28/14 1:24 am - Madison Township, PA

Thank you all for responding.

Like I said, I'm just starting out.  I do like that something as Care Credit is available, though I do realize the interest rate is high.  I'd be interested in anything lower.  I don't see how this kind of thing is done without some financing.  I know personally I don't have money sitting around waiting to do nothing with.  How I wish I did :)

My inclination is to keep doing as much research as possible.  Realistically, if I stay in the US - I will only be able to have one procedure, or minimal.  With the right information and financing, it would be great if I could get more for my money internationally.  I'm nothing else if not a bargain hunter, in this and every aspect of my life.

I'm currently living in the Scranton, PA area - generally a more reasonable part of the country than suburban Chicago, where I will be relocating to in the next few months.  Hopefullly by this time next year I'll be a full-time Illinois resident.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I'm realizing I need breast something done, a tummy "issue" of some kind.  And a face lift.  Weight loss is great but it's made me look very drawn...

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

Crazeru
on 9/29/14 10:47 am

We have an active group here on OH for Dr Sauceda.  He's in Monterrey Mexico and I can't say enough good things about him.  You do want an experienced PS that has dealt with several WLS patients.  Our skin has been stretched generally over our lifetime.  I had a Lower Body Lift (LBL), Breast Lift (BL), arms, sm thigh (inside groin area only, not a long leg lift), and 4 days later a full neck & facelift, including upper and lower lids. 

You can click on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line and it'll take you over to our group.  I documented my time in Monterrey and my recovery in threads from January 2011, and 2013 when I went back for an upper body lift (UBL).

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/14 5:14 am

My suggestion would be to go talk with a plastic surgeon and go over what concerns you and find out the costs,etc. I usually recommend doing the part that concerns you the most. It seems like that in my experience has been the tummy but every patient is different. Make sure that your plastic surgeon will try and get it covered by your insurance. If they don't cover it, then Care Credit and other financing options we offer are available. Going overseas is another option as you mentioned but I strongly recommend that you weigh the difference in expertise, certification, setting, recourse, complications compared to in the US. Cost is a significant factor but you should be able to find qualified plastic surgeons that are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery whose fees are within 20% of those overseas. Try our American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons(www.ASBPS.org) for further info and referrals.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307

Newport Beach, California 92660

949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca)

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California

(Irvine)

Orange County's Physician of Excellence/America's Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012/2013

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com Scar Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

gettingskinnywithit
on 10/6/14 6:21 am
VSG on 11/05/13

I am starting with a lower body lift.  It's going to cost me about 12,000.  I am financing with care credit fr their 0 interest time perid then planning to jump from 0 interest card to card.  I get them in the mail all the time.  There is usualy a 2-3% transfer fee but thats a lot lower than any interest rate! You just have to be sure to get it transferred before the 0 interest runs out.  I financed my sleeve with my becu credit card wth a 6.5% apr.  About a month after my lbl I'm planning a breast reduction.  I looked into going to mexico but it's worth the extra money to me to come home same day.  Oh make sure you find a surgeon who has their own surgery suite so you don't have to pay hospital fees.  The same lbl with a different surgeon who insists on doing them at the hospital is 19,000.  I'm hoping for my breast reduction to be covered by insurance.  Mexico wasnt worth it for just the lbl.  Dont forget you have passport, airline tickets ad potentialy a hote stay which some include but not all.  Good luck!

Most Active