BMI for plastics?

jamrodriguez
on 9/9/15 11:29 am

So I'm thinking wayyyy ahead here, because I'm only 6 weeks post op from my VSG. But skin removal plastics are going to be inevitable for me, since I started with a 50 BMI. I already have sagging skin and look a bit "deflated" in all my fatty areas. Its just in the back of my mind, knowing eventually I will need to go to plastics. I have read the recommendation that one should be stable in their weight for about a year before having plastics, so I'm keeping that in mind. But I think my problem is that I don't really know what my goal weight should be at all. I've always considered my non-scale goals to be more important, but it seems to me that when thinking about plastics, the BMI might matter. I have a problem with goaling myself at a "normal" BMI, because it seems so unrealistic for me. I'm almost 6 feet tall, with a very broad frame and pretty muscular. To be considered a "normal" BMI, I would have to be under 172 lbs. That seems crazy to me! I haven't been under 200 since I in grade school. Literally. My extended weight goal has been to be in the :just overweight" category, which would be more around 205 lbs. Even that seems like a stretch to me. 

So my question to you all is, in your honest opinion, when is it ideal to aim for plastic surgery? If you've had it already or are having it, what was your BMI when you decided to make that leap?

I guess I'm really trying to set myself up a rough timeline. I'm a chronic planner/worrier so I hate not knowing what to expect, even a couple years in the future.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

bariatric_bombshell
on 9/10/15 8:05 am - St Joseph, MO

My surgeon requires one to be at a stable weight for at least a year (approx 3 years out).  Which is ideal. You need to be stable. A weight gain/loss can jeopardize the overall appearance after plastics.

"You can suffer the pain of change or suffer the pain of remaining the same."

Tracy D.
on 9/10/15 10:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I got my weight down to normal BMI for my height but it bounced up a bit before plastics (about 7 lbs. above "normal" BMI).  My surgeon said I didn't need to lose more weight before surgery - so I didn't.  

However, all the plastics docs I talked to wanted patients who were within 10-20 lbs. of final goal weight (whatever you decide that to be) and wanted the patient to have successfully maintained that weight for 6-12 months, preferably 12 months.  

Gaining or losing more than 10 lbs. after plastics is going to impact the final result of your surgery.  You don't want anything to mess it up after paying all that $$$. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 9/11/15 9:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I totally understand not knowing where you are going to end up. I am 5'11 and the top weight for me to have a 'normal' BMI is 178. So I think your 172 for normal is a little low. I started at a 53 BMI and am finally into the overweight category. I set my goal as 170... although that is a weight I have never been since probably elementary school.  I am wiling to adjust it. I do want to be below 200. then I will see from there. I know I want plastics... will see how and when...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/15 2:29 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

35 or less mine is 34 and I just had my plastic done...I was sleeved in decemeber do what makes u happy

sleevelouise
on 9/15/15 5:17 am

I'm planning to return to my clinic for plastics. The cosmetic surgeon there said I should keep my weight stable for at least 6 months, my blood work should be good, and my BMI should fit the range of 28-29.

Had surgery at Nordbariatric, with surgeon A. Maleckas.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/15/15 7:20 pm

I had 4 consults prior to choosing my surgeon, everyone said the same. A bmi over 30 increases your risk for complications and a result that is subpar. Get your bmi as close to normal as possible. Give your surgeon the best canvas to do his work. You will be pleased at how beautiful you will look. Do your hard work - wait a year and then allow an experienced skilled plastic surgeon to do his or her work of art.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active