Tummy tuck/hernia repair

Cassie W.
on 10/4/15 12:40 pm, edited 10/4/15 1:42 pm

I've maintained my weight loss since my RNY surgery 9 years ago and am finally taking the next step to remove the doughy apron of skin that's remained despite my active lifestyle.

Although I had previously considered a tummy tuck, I delayed it because of the expense and I didn't want to put off training for my marathons and triathlons.

It wasn't until I developed a couple of hernias this year that I finally made the decision to go through with it. I figured since I will have to take time off from training for the hernias, I might as well combine the procedures so I have one recovery period. I scheduled the tummy tuck 9 days after my fall marathon in the hopes I'll retain my base fitness when I'm released to go out and play again.

I'm looking forward to the freedom of being able to run, bike and swim without the excess skin weighing me down mentally and physically.

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

hollykim
on 10/5/15 8:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 4, 2015 at 7:40 PM Pacific Time, Cassie W. wrote:

I've maintained my weight loss since my RNY surgery 9 years ago and am finally taking the next step to remove the doughy apron of skin that's remained despite my active lifestyle.

Although I had previously considered a tummy tuck, I delayed it because of the expense and I didn't want to put off training for my marathons and triathlons.

It wasn't until I developed a couple of hernias this year that I finally made the decision to go through with it. I figured since I will have to take time off from training for the hernias, I might as well combine the procedures so I have one recovery period. I scheduled the tummy tuck 9 days after my fall marathon in the hopes I'll retain my base fitness when I'm released to go out and play again.

I'm looking forward to the freedom of being able to run, bike and swim without the excess skin weighing me down mentally and physically.

are the hernias in your abdominal muscle?

Cassie W.
on 10/6/15 4:19 pm

I had 3 hernias that needed repair. One was at my RNY laparoscopic incision site above and to the right of my belly button. That was the one that triggered the surgery. In May, while I was running, I noticed a bulge. Since it was fat popping through, not intestine, and it would reduce on its own within a couple hours after I stopped running, I delayed surgery until after my fall marathon.

During the procedure, the surgeon also discovered an inguinal hernia that was unrelated to my previous surgeries. The third was a small umbilical hernia.

By combining the procedures, the general surgeon has able to get a good look at everything after the plastic surgeon exposed my abdominal fascia.

Adirondackmom
on 10/8/15 7:07 am

I am 9 days post op hernia repair/ muscle tightening and tummy tuck. Like you I decided to do the tummy tuck (I am 3 yrs post RNY). I had a rather large hernia that couldn't be done laparoscopically. I'm thrilled with my results! Still sore and moving slow but not bad at all.

Cassie W.
on 10/12/15 4:19 am

Congratulations! I am pleased with my results, too. It's pretty amazing to see curves in the right places. I can't wait to buy a new triathlon suit that fits.

maria_lucia1987
on 10/12/15 3:44 am - Bangladesh

So you have done plastic surgery on your body.

It shows you feel good after having the plastic procedures.

I also want to go for plastic surgery on my body ...which is tummy tuck liposuction.

Most Active