Arm Scar

Sherrie P.
on 10/26/15 5:13 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Well that is a giant picture...

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

W. John Suber,
M.D.

on 10/28/15 1:33 pm - Greenville, SC

I am sorry that you have had your brachioplasty scar thicken up. But do not lose hope.

Scars here can be a challenge. And at least one component of scar management is understanding that genetics does play a role in scarring. That is, just as one inherits eye color and hair color from parents, so to do elements of scarring. This is certainly not the only issue that affects scars, but it is the one over which neither surgeon nor patients has control.

That said, there is hope here. I have not examined you personally, so bear that in mind. And I recommend you discuss scarring with your plastic surgeon. In my opinion, from the photo, I do think that scar revision is a good option for you. I cannot tell from the photo where exactly the scar lies on the inside of the arm. But regardless, operative revision, in my hands, would be the course of action. And since this is "hypertrophic" and not "keloid," then there is a good chance of improvement.

In my office, I do revisions such as these (thankfully uncommon) in the office under local anesthesia. Good luck!

--W. John Suber, MD

Greenville, SC

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 2:30 am - Russia

I wish I could see more pictures right after your surgery. I am looking for medical health care center for having scar reduction on my belly very soon. i have been doing research for that. Thanks for your post with picture.

Sherrie P.
on 11/19/15 2:09 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Go to the Real Self site and search my profile - Thinin13 and you will see the whole gory story!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 1:42 pm

Unfortunately,as many of you know, the brachioplasty scars tend to be the worst. I always recommend using ScaRxTape beginning after the steri-strips are removed and continuously for at least two months to give the scar support. At this stage, you could still try it (and it is available on internet) but you will probably need a pulsed dye laser and/or kenalog injections. 

Most Active