fleur de lis or regular old tummy tuck?

charminglearner
on 12/4/15 10:15 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

I had my first visit with a plastic surgeon today.  He said I should qualify to get the panniculectomy covered.  We'll know in six weeks.  He suggested getting a regular tummy tuck and get the muscles repaired.  I asked about the Fleur de lis.  I want the loose skin on my sides that sits on the bed all the way up to my ribs (when I'm laying on my back) to have disappeared once I have surgery.  I don't want to keep going in for more surgery to improve a disappointing job.  I don't have that kind of money.  My abdomen is the only area I'm getting done. The rest of it I can live with.

The plastic surgeon doesn't think I need the fleur de lis.  I think I do.  The scar up the middle isn't a concern to me. Loose skin on my upper abdomen will be frustrating once I've borrowed and paid all that money.  Should I push for a fleur de lis?  I can't really afford to visit plastic surgeons and pay their consult fees.  I'm sure I'd eventually find someone who would agree to upgrade from a panni to a fdl. But am  I being realistic?  What is the criteria for fleur de lis?  

Thank you in advance for your advice and information.

Laura in Texas
on 12/5/15 3:47 am

Ask your surgeon to see before/afters of people like you who have had tummy tucks. I thought I needed a fleur de lis after losing 200 pounds, but my surgeon did not. He was right. My stomach looks as good now as it did when I was iin my 20's. The skill of the surgeon makes all the difference.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

charminglearner
on 12/5/15 6:00 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Thank you Laura.  I will.  I'm supposed to go back in about 6 weeks when we know what's covered by insurance.  I'll ask then.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 7:43 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I have my initial consult next week - and it's free.  With a great surgeon, not a newbie or hack.  If you feel you need a second opinion, you may want to call around.  If are in NJ/NY, I'll let you how mine went.

Sharon

NYMom222
on 12/7/15 6:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Who are you having your consult with. I'm in NY , just wondering...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

charminglearner
on 1/5/16 5:07 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

I'm in Ontario. 

But I will try to get a second opinion here.

ICG63
on 12/8/15 9:01 am
Revision on 10/31/13

My experience was a fleur de lis because I had an incisional hernia repair anyway. I'm having a revision and body lift (in addition to arms and breast lift with Dr. Capella) because, in part, there is skin left in my upper rib cage, and dog ears. My belly is tight, but the back sags etc. You can see my pics, before and afters if that helps. I lost 100lbs. My surgery date is set for Jan. 25th! That is the last one!!! Good luck in your decision.

charminglearner
on 1/5/16 5:06 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

Thank you!

And good luck to you too!

What are dog ears?

Most Active