Airplane Travel Eight Days Post LBL and BBL --> Need Advice!

Caribou_in_a_box
on 2/26/16 2:43 pm

I will be having a lower body lift, Brazilian butt lift, and liposuction in Tijuana next month.  I will be going alone, so will need to travel by myself, carry my own bag, etc.  I will be booking a first class ticket for the return portion of the flight just to have a little more room and to be a little more comfortable.  I have heard many women talk about getting wheelchair assistance with their flight.  Is this something necessary?  I would feel so awkward being pushed around the airport in a wheelchair, everybody staring and judging.  Do any of you have experience navigating the airport so recently after surgery?  Do you think I will be able to do it independently if I take my time?  My layover will be just over 2 hours, so plenty of time to get between flights.  How do you manage to walk around if you still can't fully stand up?  How did you manage the discomfort on the flight?  I am thankful that my flight time will only be around five hours (broken up with a layover in-between).

NYMom222
on 2/26/16 8:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think it is a great idea that you booked a first class ticket. I am flying cross country (NY to Arizona) for my nephew's wedding 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I didn't book first class, but did book the 'extra room' seats.

While I think you may have some people look at you, I don't think people are judging you for being in a wheelchair.  Once you travel there, and see what the airports and transfers are like... you will have an idea of whether you think you need extra help. Find out from the airline how far in advance you need to book assistance. If it is only a couple of days, you can see how you feel post surgery.

Better to be safe. Don't want to hurt yourself after surgery.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Laura in Texas
on 2/27/16 4:14 am

Get wheelchair assistance. I did not even begin to feel human again until the 3 week mark. Even then, I could not have walked through an airport. Who cares what people think. You do not want to mess up your results.

Take your pain meds on schedule. Once you are in pain, it's too late.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/16 4:01 pm

I'll be going to Costa Rica for loose skin issues, but I plan to stay and work from the hotel for a week so I can have follow-up care.

I travelled for a small procedure in Sept which saved me a lot of money, but follow up care at home was expensive (would have been included if I stayed), and I had a minor scarring issue that would have been avoided if I stayed and treat more quickly.

Isha F.
on 2/28/16 9:20 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I have owned a travel agency for 20 years.  LBL is a big surgery.  Absolutely get the wheelchair assistance.  People get it for SO many reasons, and you have an excessively valid one.  You will never see any of these people again, so who cares what they think. ;)

The airlines provide these because people need them, so please plan to use this.  Plus you will be doing customs and that will zip you through that, which can be an exhausting wait when you are feeling good, let alone traveling right after major surgery.

I hope everything goes perfect and you have awesome results.

Isha - I lost 235 pounds EATING NORMAL!  Saavy? Click on my name to find out why I chose the Duodenal Switch Surgery instead. 

isha.jpg picture by leaannjohnson
 Captain Hook: [to Wendy] Didst thou ever want to be a pirate? 

Braceface
on 2/29/16 11:57 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

One week post surgery I could have traveled and been fine but lifting bags and moving around an airport would have risked damaging stiches. Sometimes you just have to suck up the embarrassment and do what you need. Get a wheelchair assist and enjoy it!

godzilla
on 3/4/16 9:38 am - Israel
I traveled in November from Israel to Monterrey Mexico to Dr Sauceda alone on three flights (regular coach seating) and the best advice i was given was wheelchair assistance. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all.
Truthfully my inner thigh lift out of country was my best surgery recovery ever. I had had in Israel apronectomy and my.incision opened (dehiscence), and a year later a breast reduction and one breast areola opened.
Ask accept a n d experience the wheelchair with honor and respect gor yourself health body and mind.
Mikimi in Israel
Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/18/16 2:23 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Complications from PS can be as serious as from any other surgery - of course get the Wheel Chair - for the reasons expressed by the other posters.  Also, make your return luggage as light as possible = ie take clothes, books, magazines, that you can leave in Mexico.  Leave your shampoo and other heavy toiletries.  Be like Audrey Hepburn and only travel with a clutch purse. 

Sharon

Caribou_in_a_box
on 3/30/16 5:36 pm

I took all your advice and booked the wheelchair assistance, and am I ever glad I did! It is not a "luxury" like I thought, it's going to be absolutely required in order to make it home. I simply had no idea what recovery would be like! I was comparing it to my sleeve, thinking it would just be a little more difficult. Was I ever mistaken. This is rough. 

Most Active