covered by insurance?

seasley
on 3/16/16 1:36 pm
RNY on 12/17/15

After having gastric bypass, do insurance companies cover any type of plastic surgery to get rid of the access skin? if so what procedures do they consider? 

i have Cigna insurance 

I am only 3 months out but am looking for information down the line so when i reach that time i am prepared and now what i can have done. 

thanks 

sonnieN
on 3/17/16 10:25 am - grand rapids, MI

You have to go in and look at your policy specifically to see if they do cover reconstruction or if there are exclusions specific to reconstruction due to weight loss. Someone else may have Cigna that does cover it and your policy may not. It all depends on the riders and coverage your employer purchased. No insurance coverage is exactly the same (unless you and the other person work for the exact same company and have the same insurance) even if it's thru the same company.

seasley
on 3/17/16 11:20 am
RNY on 12/17/15

I have looked at out SPD as work for Cigna so i have access to those documents, however if you do not know what type of procedures you are looking for you are lost. 

I know they cover panniculectomy after weightloss but would like other ideas to search for under the policy SPD's.

thank you for your response SonnieN much appreciated.

Neesie57
on 3/17/16 1:16 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Insurance usually does not pay for cosmetic procedures. In fact, PS is almost never covered by insurance.  You will probably have to pay out of pocket for most or all of your future procedures.

I've already started saving money for it, and my surgery won't happen for at least a year.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active