What to expect on your first Plastic Surgery Consult

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/18/16 2:07 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hi,   I finally ventured in to doctors' offices to look into Plastics - here is what happened and what I learned.

Typical  - fill out forms, see doctor (sometime first consult is free, sometimes ~$100 Fee). They may take pictures ro just talk and they would take pictures on your next visit.  After doctor has given you their opinion and what procedures would work best for you, you go down the hall and talk to the "Scheduler."  Her job is to tell you how much it will cost, and to work out a time for surgery.  Typical pre-surgery list: EKG and bloodwork.

I've gone to see 2 doctors in the Northeast - things may be different other places, but this gives the general idea.

I went to Dr Capella in NJ for a consult for an upper body lift (UBL-arms, sides and breast lift).  I could not follow through with the surgery because torn rot cuff surgery must be done first. So, UBL is postponed for a year.

Wanting/needing to get something done soon, I looked into a neck lift and eyelids - which would not interfere with the rot cuff surgery. (I could have it done a few weeks after the rot cuff.)   After waiting two weeks for the plastics appointment with another doctor, I was super excited by the doctor's assessment - just the thought of no more skin hanging under my chin was wonderful.  When I shuffled down the hall to the scheduler - the cost was ~30% MORE than the whole UBL.  WTF - it's a shorter surgery, done under local with propophyl, no general.  If I did the necklift, I would not be able to afford the UBL next year.  I left feeling like one of those brides on TV who tried on dresses out of their price range and leaves the store feeling disappointed and upset.  I thought the cost was astronomical. It was hard not to cry because the price was so far above anything I imagined for this surgery.  The only reason I think I was so upset was because the doctor gave me a really good assessment, got my hopes up, only to find out it was so far out of my price range - about $20,000 (with the pre-surgery stuff). 

After a few hours, I picked myself up.  I called another Board Certified FACIAL plastic surgeon (not just general plastic surgeon, but FACIAL).  This first consult was free.  This time when I made the appointment, I asked to speak to the person who told you how much things cost.  I did not want to go through the feeling of Charlie Brown getting the football pulled out again'  I asked how much the surgery would cost. It felt a little odd, but lots of people must ask - She gave me the SURGEON's fees - starting at $______.  So the facility fee and anesthesiologist's fees are additional.  They were much lower.  When I get all the fees tallied on, it still might be out of my price range, but I won't get my hopes up. 

I understand why people are leaving the country for plastics.  If I have to, I'll just wait to get the UBL next year. 

Sharon

Don 1962
on 3/18/16 4:38 pm

You left off all the pulling and tugging that goes on!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 3/19/16 6:48 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I can see why that can happen but I wasn't tugged and pulled.  Maybe different from Dr to Dr, probably worse for body work.  But be prepared for the unvarnished truth as revealed in a mirror.  Mine wanted to make sure I understood the outcome - scars and all.  These doctors are pros and see a lot worse - all sorts of accident victims - so expect respectful but truthful assessment and info. (And don't get your hopes up until you get the price tag.  Some doctors are more than 2 times the normal prices you see on the internet.

I liked the poster who said to see 5 doctors before deciding. 

Sharon

Don 1962
on 3/19/16 7:00 am

I stopped looking after two consults.  Could use a LBL and or some face/neck work but not to keen on the inconveniences of it all.  As one PS put it I "deflated well" and can live with how I look.  Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

gladys_brown
on 4/30/16 12:37 am

The decision for surgery is an important one. Making the most of your plastic surgery consultation by knowing what to ask your surgeon and expect during your meeting and by speaking to other patient to gather first hand information from someone who has already done could be a big help.Normally, the surgeon should inquire about your concerns, priorities and motivations for pursuing surgery, as well as your fears and therefore should explain what is possible and what is not possible. Dr. Kyle Song, a highly recommended surgeon can give you the best assistance regarding any surgery concern.

Most Active