Plastics after hysterectomy

cgriffin5029
on 8/29/18 9:56 am
VSG on 08/11/16

I am scheduled to have LBL with MR, BL w/ implants and small thigh lift in January. I recently found out I need a hysterectomy. Do you think it is reasonable to have the laparoscopic hysterectomy, wait 2 weeks and then having the cosmetic surgery? I am hoping to lump the recovery time together. Any experience or opinion. My plastics doctor is okay with me having the hysterectomy first but my GYN seems a little hesitant. I would have an 1.5 flight to get to my plastics doctor. TIA.

Gwen M.
on 8/29/18 5:23 pm, edited 8/29/18 10:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This seems like asking for trouble. Recovery from all of these surgeries is major and requires a lot of energy from your body.

The fact that your plastics doctor is okay with that is a HUGE red flag to me.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Librarian67
on 8/30/18 5:55 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I had a hysterectomy in February of this year. Because my fibroids were very large, they had to do an open procedure with a horizontal bikini cut. While I know of people who even have the PS done at the same time as they have the hysterectomy, I would really advise against it.

It took a long time for my abdomen to heal from the hysterectomy and having my abdominoplasty (plus BL) in May, I now believe was too soon. Both procedures cause abdominal swelling (swelly belly) for months after the procedure and having them so close together has made it hard for everything to heal and flatten out. The PS used the same lateral cut from the hysterectomy so that was okay, but both surgeries, even if the hysterectomy isn't open or complete, are very hard on your body and probably will lead to problems with healing properly.

I know how disappointing it is to have to delay the PS but give your body a break so that it can do it's job.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Laura in Texas
on 9/1/18 2:38 am

Do the hysterectomy and let your body heal completely before you have plastics. Take care of your health first. My mom did not and now it is too late for a hysterectomy for her (late stage uterine cancer).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AliveMe
on 9/1/18 8:49 pm

I'm agree with the others on waiting, give your body a rest. I understand the desire to lump the recovery time together. My GBP surgeon had a seminar on the effects of surgery especially the anesthesia.

I had a tummy tuck when my triplets were 18 months old. A friends husband noticed my stomach one day and said doing 500 stomach crunches isn't going to help that. He was a plastic surgeon. I had a separating in my stomach muscles from my first pregnancy.

I too had a lapro hysterectomy;endometriosis, and recovering from that surgery was awful. I believe because I felt so much better, I just brushed off the surgical pain. If you're a fellow sufferer of endometriosis, you know what I'm talking about. I have a high tolerance for pain below the neck, above the neck I'm a whiny, twitchy mess.

I can't speak to the LBL, BR, BL & small thigh lift, so I'll leave that to the others. Then again, I am have the arm lift and BL w/implants, so I'll let you know how that goes.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/18 8:09 pm
VSG on 09/28/16

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy a year and a half ago, 6 months after getting sleeved. It was not planned and not fun. I had fleur de lis abdominoplasty three weeks ago. Planned, but still not fun. I have to agree with almost everything said: hysterectomy first, then probably 6 months to get over the severe swelly belly and really heal up before going another round. My laparo hyst was super easy (compared to my c-sections) and I healed up really well, but at 6 months post sleeve, I felt like I had barely healed from the last round. I cannot even imagine trying to fly somewhere 2 weeks after my hysterectomy, not to mention major surgery. (As an aside, my plastic surgeon won't even do a body lift the same time as abdominoplasty, due to the spike in complications and blood transfusions after the 6 hr mark. (http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/body-contouring-after-ma ssive-weight-loss-can-procedures-be-combined). I'm kind of shocked your plastics guy is so non-chalant about it. Is this just way, way outside of his expertise?)

The incisions on a laparo hyst look super small, but there's about a millionty little stitches in there. They have to take out a major structural support part that's attached all over the place and completely seal everything off. That kind of thing takes a long time to completely heal up from and you really don't want to mess with parts where your insides and outsides meet. Not to mention losing your uterus is quite a shock to the system; I kept my ovaries (apparently fallopian tubes are now considered the bad part?) and they still freaked out for a few months. Definite hormone roller coaster until it finally settled out about three months later.

It sounds like you already have a lot planned on the plastic surgery front. I would listen to the GYN surgeon; she's the one who knows how long you really need to wait before another surgery. (Also, if you have *any* problems post hysterectomy, find a good pelvic floor PT.)

Most Active