PS Recommendations

brenmcc
on 7/28/19 7:27 pm
RNY on 03/11/19

Hi, I'm new to the group. Had RNY on March 11th and combined with my pre-op loss have now said goodbye to over 98 pounds. :)

I have another 30 pounds to go but I'm starting to seriously research plastic surgeons for my next step. I have several on my short-list and am hoping to get feedback from any of their patients:

Dr. Joseph Capella

Dr. Laura Carmina Cardenas

Dr. Joseph Michaels

Dr. Stephen Kovach

Dr. Peter Fisher

Dr. P. Dudley Giles

Dr. Bernard Shuster

Or if you have used someone else that you would highly recommend, I'm all ears. I'm from upstate NY but am willing to travel for the best surgeon.

Thank you very much!!!

• HW = 290 (12/18/2018)
  • SW = 264 (RNY: 3/11/2019)
  • CW = 175
  • Goal = 164
Maddymoe2
on 7/29/19 6:28 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Congrats on your weight loss!! I am have not had plastics yet, hoping to this winter. I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Michaels. If I lived closer, he would be my pick. His work is amazing!!

brenmcc
on 7/29/19 10:52 am
RNY on 03/11/19

Thanks Maddymoe, I am also hoping for this winter, sometime Feb-March. I want to get down another 30 pounds and then settle into that weight for a few months to be sure it's stable. Good luck to you on your journey!

• HW = 290 (12/18/2018)
  • CW = 175
  • Goal = 164
catwoman7
on 7/29/19 7:29 am, edited 7/29/19 12:30 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've heard of all of them except for Kovach, Giles, and Shuster. The others you mentioned are pretty well-known to the bariatric community and have excellent reputations.

I used Lawrence Zachary in Chicago who also has an excellent reputation and is pretty well-known in the bariatric community as well, but there are enough "stars" on the east coast (i.e., closer to you) that I would go with one of them. Plus if you're one of the few who experiences complications, it'd be helpful if your surgeon was within driving distance, I would think.

Edited to add that a lot of people do travel for plastic surgery, so it's not NECESSARY to have someone within driving distance, but it might be easier...

brenmcc
on 7/29/19 10:54 am
RNY on 03/11/19

Thanks a lot catwoman, I appreciate the info & feedback!

• HW = 290 (12/18/2018)
  • CW = 175
  • Goal = 164
Dcgirl
on 7/29/19 11:54 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I am team Dr. Joseph Michaels 100%! I had the best experience with him. He does virtual consults. I can't say enough good things about him.

Here is a post I did a couple of years after plastics, and it links to my original plastics post.

I would recommend waiting more than a few months. Many surgeons recommend that you spend 6 months to a year at your goal weight. I have had regain since my lowest weight, and had I had plastics at that low number where I stayed for like a hot second, I don't think I would still have such awesome results.

Where in upstate NY? I went to college in Ithaca!

brenmcc
on 7/29/19 5:59 pm
RNY on 03/11/19

Just read your post and saw your pics, you look AMAZING!!! He really must have an incredible gift. Congratulations on your transformation. :) I'm in Troy NY, about 5 minutes from Albany. I know Ithica well, a friend of mine went there so there were many parties. ;)

I'm still loosing an average of 3 lbs a week so I'm hoping that continues through the next 2 months. I set my own personal goal to be at or under 169 lbs by my birthday on October 5th.

• My highest weight was 290 on 12/18/18
  • RNY surgery on 3/11/19, weight was 264
  • Last Friday, 7/26/19 weight was 192

Timing is still in question since I haven't come close to goal yet. For all I know, I could continue loosing past my goal. Wouldn't that be a kick??? :) Thanks so much for the advice!!!

Dcgirl
on 7/31/19 4:28 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

He is a magician indeed! I can't recommend him enough!

You very well may lose past your goal and I highly recommend it since many people get bounceback in years 2 or 3 or 4. Reaching "goal" felt momentous to me but then I realized what was really going to change? I still followed the rules, weighed my portions, ate high protein and low carb...it's only been this year (year 5) that I am struggling with regain :(

But I would really recommend waiting 6 months to a year at a stable weight before plastics. Most doctors will tell you the same. Trust me, I get wanting to run out and do it immediately since the loose skin can be pretty demoralizing, but that's just my two cents. Your fat and skin sort of rejiggle over time and settle in. For best results, I would wait.

Congrats on your weight loss so far though! That's awesome. I know you must feel amazing!

brenmcc
on 7/31/19 5:35 am
RNY on 03/11/19

Thank you so much for the feedback. Of course I'm antsy to have these bat-wings fixed but it's worth waiting at least 6 months for better results. Time flies so I just have to remind myself to be patient! And thanks for the congrats as well.

If history repeats, maintenance will be the hardest part for me. I've lost significant weight (over 80 pounds) 4 times in the past 20 years, only to gain it back plus some. This is the primary reason I made the decision to have WLS. To have this amazing tool in place that will assist me in keeping it off. I know I'll still have to be vigilant and that some regain is common. My hope is that with this tool, I'll be successful.

• HW = 290 (12/18/2018)
  • CW = 175
  • Goal = 164
catwoman7
on 7/31/19 5:22 am, edited 7/30/19 10:22 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with everything DCGirl said. In addition, I've read that gaining or losing more than 10 lbs after plastic surgery can affect your results. If that's true, you definitely want to be at a stable weight for awhile before having it. I had a 12 lb bounceback after hitting my lowest weight. It's pretty common...

Most Active