My Insurance Approval my Tummy tuck and thighs!

Liz J.
on 10/7/19 1:29 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I can't believe that my insurance approved my tummy and thighs the first time! I'll be having surgery in January, any advice?

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

A. Martinez
on 10/7/19 3:46 pm

How did you get the Thighs approved my surgeon said has as yet to see them cover that. I am in CA.

Liz J.
on 10/8/19 6:01 am
DS on 11/29/16

Lots of documentation on all three of our parts. Mine, my PCP, and my surgeon. I had a lot of infections and discoloration going on. Something with my arms but they did not approve those. Will try again after the abdomen and thighs are done.

Em143
on 10/8/19 10:43 pm

Congrats! A Go Girl & a raised toilet seat were life savers with my thigh lift. Also, lots of ice packs to help with itching and swelling!

ScaleSkater
on 10/25/19 10:22 am, edited 10/25/19 3:44 am

Buckle up. It's a tough surgery depending on how extensive they go. They went 360 on me. I literally sat on the couch for almost a week it hurt so much to move, especially with all the drains. My arm drains caught on everything. I watched GOT from start to finish (basically a season a day). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the end result. But I will admit that I was surprised how immobile I was that first week. Quickly improved by about day 5, but the pain was much greater than the bypass surgery.

Advice. Thankfully my core was super strong so getting out of bed wasn't too bad. I rigged a cable system to help me get up into a seated position from being on my back. I hooked a heavy duty resistance band under the bed on one side and then across on the diagonal to the other leg (hooking two bands). I then would just do a curl and it gave me enough momentum to get upright. When I was leaving the hospital they told my wife to be ready to get up to help me out of bed during the night, etc. With that system, never had to disturb her. The doctor loved the idea and was going to mention to future patients. I would say that was the best thing I did to keep my independence. Other advice, take the pain meds for first few days!!! But recovery was good. They didn't need to nip or tuck anything. I healed cleanly all the way around, a good percentage don't and need minor adjustments. So I was glad that didn't happen.

Good luck. I'll try to find a pix of my pulley system if I still have it.

Sorry about what looks like dirt on the sheet. My wife let one of the dogs upstairs before wiping her off and she wanted to love me with dirty paws that morning. Got most of it off. The handle ended up in a position I could only use it to lay back down. I would just grab the orange section while I was laying down and pull without a handle.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

SuMari
on 1/9/20 2:30 pm

Congrats! When is everything scheduled for? or has it already happened?

Liz J.
on 1/22/20 2:47 pm
DS on 11/29/16

Had to get re-approved and it came in this week. Date for first set is 2/10. I find out Friday what they are doing on the first surgery! This time they also approved the arm... I'm stunned to say the least and I have until May 2020 to get everything done.

SuMari
on 1/31/20 10:31 am

OOOHHHH! that's great! Can't wait to see how things progress!

CONGRATS! I called my insurance company and there is no way insurance will pay for any plastic surgery... kinda makes me sad

catwoman7
on 2/2/20 10:54 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that's true for a majority of us, so you're in good company!!

Liz J.
on 2/3/20 9:44 am
DS on 11/29/16

Had my last pre-surgery visit on Friday and the surgeon wants to do a 360 but the extra out of pocket in a no go. So, extended TT and arms are going to be done then depending how that goes 10 weeks later he'll do my thigh lift! My husband is staying the first week of both surgeries to help me in and out of bed/couch until I can be on my own. I'm super nervous and extremely excited at the same time!!

Most Active