Laser Hair removal for PCOS?

flyingwoman
on 8/1/10 5:32 pm
 The WLS will not likely reduce the hair growth, what  it might reduce is the *activation* of hair follicules, making other kinds of hair removal like laser and electrolysis more effective.
mistyshadows
on 8/4/10 2:01 pm
 I've done the vaniqua cream, electrolysis and laser removal.  By far the laser wins out for me.  I am fair skinned and dark-ish hair so it did good for me.  It wasn't permanent though. probably about a year.  I would say it lasted better than electrolysis (and didn't hurt).  The vaniqua cream didn't do anything for me.  I do also take 100mg of spirnolactone.  I think it does slow the hair growing, but it's all still there.  I'm also noticing that the coarse hairs are now changing to white.  I don't know what that is due to.  I'm 41, so it could be gray.  I dunno.
southernlady5464
on 8/7/10 10:51 pm
According to a chart I found at http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/obesity-health-problems.html 78% of the hursuitism is resolved with wls.

Of course that means that over 20% isn't and I may be in that group, but won't know til after surgery.

I've never used laser removal, I've always plucked mine.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Anne80097
on 8/28/10 8:22 am - Worcester, MA
I have been doing laser at American Laser Center for years. I got my chin done and was so happy. So happy I got my lip, legs, bikini and arms done too. I was taking spirolactone too but I found it didn't work on all my hairy parts, including my chin. How my chin isn't completely hair free, there are a few subborn areas, including the area around a mole have there. But despite this the shadow is completely gone.  I heart laser!
Heather G.
on 9/1/10 12:15 pm, edited 9/1/10 12:16 pm
I've had AMAZING effects with a combo of laser and electrolysis. The woman I go to has a lot of PCOS women (including me, of course).

I never had anything heavy enough to be called a beard, but I had my own little five o'clock shadow going and it was a huge issue for me and my self-esteem. I shaved every other day, got totally irritated, and was never totally smooth except for the first few hours after. Now? I haven't shaved in about a year, my skin is perfect and baby smooth and I'm EXTREMELY happy.

Just to let you know, laser really only works on people with dark hair and very fair skin -- which describes me. If you've got lighter hair and/or darker skin, it won't work and some places won't even bother trying.

There's always electrolysis which is guaranteed to work for everyone and is absolutely permanent. And these days, it doesn't hurt very much. (In fact, it hurts a lot less than the laser.)

HW: 299 / SW: 286 / CW: 175 / GW: 144-165 / Height: 5'9"

Manon
on 9/3/10 3:01 am - Burbank, CA
VSG on 10/04/10 with
I had my full face done 4 times a couple of years ago and my sideburns are effectively gone (!) as is any trace of upper lip - I just have some hairs on my chin left and currently I shave daily.  I'm hoping after the VSG (next month - woo!!!) and the weight loss, I'll have less (or even none) of that.  As the weight increases androgen production, I am really hoping that the whole PCOS thing will be a thing of the past....Here's to cautious optimism! 
HW-280/SW-264/CW-214/GW-155 (5'9")

ladyjedi
on 11/11/10 10:15 am - Washington, DC
REALIZE Band on 12/21/09 with
I had a lot of hair on my chin and had laser hair removal in 2007. I loved it. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 1999. The hair got worse and worse. I went from waxing to shaving every day. First of all not all lasers are the same, there are lasers for fair skin, medium skin and dark skin. You have to go to a doctor who has the right laser for your skin type. I was treated every 4 weeks for 5 months. After three months, I stopped shaving every day -- moved to once every 2 days, after my fourth treatment i stopped shaving all together. I skipped one month and went back for another 5 month treatment. Within a year the hair, dark spots and skin tags were gone. I wish I did before and after pictures so I could share them....

If you live in the DC metro area there are several amazing doctors who perform laser hair removal. No, it is not cheap! It is very expensive and you should plan a year of treatment. It costs me $2000 but it was the best investment I had made to date. My lap band is my newest best investment! LOL!

I wax every six to eight weeks for any minor or stray hairs. If I feel too many hairs are coming in -- I will go get a laser treatment. That is about once per year as of now.

I love my results and swear by the laser -- it was a life saver for me and gave me my confidence back.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2979 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views