Weight Discrimination and PCOS

thelightedtorch
on 7/13/11 1:56 am - Newton, WI
 My health is the most pressing reason I am opting for weight loss surgery.  My dad has diabetes and neuropathy.  I am afraid I will also be diagnosed with this illness before long.  On top of this, my knees hurt often.  I am only 30 years old and my knees already have arthritis.  I weigh a whopping 251 pounds! 

I know it will be more possible for me to loose weight if my knees hurt less.  I will be more apt to exercise and increase my activity level in other ways.

The final reason for my decision is the prevalent weight discrimination in America.  One socially acceptable prejudice in American Society as well as many others is weight discrimination.  One of the reasons that I am opting to proceed with the gastric sleeve surgery is because of weight discrimination.  There are some people that can look past the issue of excessive weight.  Most can't.  The average person is apt to view the obese as lazy, slow-minded, and lacking self control.

Let me tell you something: There is a pathology, a physical reason, that is often the main culprit in giving someone the eventual death sentence of obesity.  There may often be an emotional reason.  There may also be an environmental reason.  In the majority of cases, I dare to make a heavy wager, that obesity stems from a combination of pathology, psychology, and environment.   NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE YOU FOR BEING OVERWEIGHT INCLUDING YOURSELF!!!  However, you are the only one who is ultimately responsible for your health.  You have a free will you can use in your favor to make whatever decision you deem is best for you regarding your health.

I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) -a common hormone imbalance that can affect up to 10% of women.  I have been fighting constant hunger my entire life.  I know that there are many skinny people out there who are hungry all the time and even more who have never had a problem with it.  I experience a genuine gnawing hunger every moment of every day because my cells are insulin starved from the PCOS.  My cells literally aren't getting the energy that they need to function properly.  All this time, I thought it was me.  I agreed that the people that were discriminating against me were right in judging me as lazy, stupid, and having a lack self control.  I've been stupid enough to believe them!  Because of this, I have lost a lot of self esteem.  Obesity can even affect salary:

Timothy A. Judge, of the University of Florida, reportedly looked at separate studies of 11,253 Germans and 12,686 Americans and found that women weighing 25 pounds less than the group average earned an average $15,572 a year more than women of normal weight. Women’s earnings diminished the more they weighed. A woman who gained 25 pounds above the average weight earned an average $13,847 less than an average-weight female. The findings for men, however, went in the opposite direction. So thin males earned $8,437 less than average-weight men, and their pay went up as they got heavier. This ebbed as they hit obese levels.

What do you do when you can't accomplish something by yourself?  You get help.  You don't try to screw a screw in without a screwdriver or even better, a drill. 

Well, I want to get things done. I have started my liquid diet today, one week before the surgery which is scheduled for July 19, 2011. 

With all that I have accomplished in life, to be pre judged as unsuccessful, unintelligent, and lazy before I am even given the courtesy of an initial conversation, is a tragedy and a shame.  I am worth taking whatever action I have to (as long as it doesn't hurt others) to have a happy healthy life.  I am going to give the world of people, in spite of the average person's cruelty and prejudice the best "me" I can give it. 

While going through this whole experience, I am going to advocate for everyone and anyone who experiences the same prejudices I have experienced by being open about my gastric sleeve adventure. 

Miss_Kitty
on 7/27/11 5:25 am - New Bedford, MA
I told my fiancee that if I should die before he does, do not, I repeat-do NOT let them put "cause of death-obesity" on my death certificate! I agree with you whole heartedly!

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3595 views