VSG or RNY with PCOS

Crystal M.
on 4/6/13 6:30 am - Fort Eustis, VA

Hey y'all. Well I had my first initial appointment with my surgeon yesterday and she just confused me more on what procedure that I should have done. I've had pcos since i was 14 so i've always been overweight. She was telling me with the vsg you lose 40 to 50% of your extra body weight with the sleeve but with the RNY you lose 80-90% of your extra body weight. My husband is getting ready to deploy on top of this and I want to do this for him and I, but not sure which would suit me best. So hoping to hear some experiences from y'all

Missy30
on 4/6/13 7:37 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi there I just wanted to share my experience.  I had VSG on June 27,2012 so Im 9 months out and down a total of 102 pounds and have about 39 pounds to goal.  I do have to work hard as far as working out 6 days a week anywhere between 30 min to and hr.  As far as my PCOS doing better the only thing that has improved is from surgery on I have not missed a cycle I am on time every month for the last 9 months.  The other stuff associated with PCOS has not gone away just slowed down a bit.  As far as the percentages of weight loss I have seen plenty of people that had VSG get 100% of there weight off over on the VSG board granted idk how many of them have PCOS.  My surgeon did not give me percentages he gave me a goal weight that he said I should be able to reach within a yr out or at least be close to by a yr out and so far I believe that is possible for me.  Weight loss has slowed but I am still losing.  He told me 155 which puts me 5 pounds over for my weight being in the normal range on the BMI charts.  Im trying hard to get there by my one yr appointment on the first of July but still am very happy with the amount I have lost so far.  I did lose 19 pounds before surgery when I was on the 6 month supervised diet per insurance requirements.  When I reach my doctors goal id like to lose five more just to be in the normal weight range just a personal goal.  Anyway just sharing my experience good luck with your decision do all the research for both surgeries and decide which would be better for you.  I have a friend that had RNY and I have nothing against either surgery.  Just felt VSG was best for me. :)

sunny_disposition
on 4/23/13 11:19 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

|I had the VSG in January, and just had my 3-month-post op appointment yesterday.  I'm already down 73 pounds, and my doctor said he has no doubts I'll be able to reach my goal of 160 pounds.   I haven't had any labs done yet, but I do feel like my PCOS is better.  My periods have come back, and it seems like all the peach fuzz on my face has lessened.  Acne hasn't really been affected, but I'm hoping getting back on birth control will help.  Best of luck to you! :)

r0bynn
on 7/15/13 1:38 pm - AR
RNY on 08/05/13
I just got approved Friday and I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18. I'm from Newport News but in Little Rock right now. Hubby is Air Force. I'm going for the RNY bc my Dr. said it would have a better success rate. I'm about 285 right now. I wish I still lived in VA. It would be great to have support! Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/13 2:13 pm
I actually live in Newport news!! I have pcos and decided on rny too. I am second myself now. But they submitted to my ins so I guess I need to just accept my decision.
r0bynn
on 7/25/13 7:30 am - AR
RNY on 08/05/13
I have no regrets on choosing RnY. I actually just got my date of August 5th. I'm SO excited. I'm on the liquid diet now and it sucks but it's for a good cause. Lol
JustMeNC
on 9/10/13 10:30 am - NC

I had RNY and have PCOS as well.  I posted on the RNY forum today with my concern about not losing weight just 8 weeks out, was convinced it was just a plateau, but now I'm wondering if it IS my PCOS!?  In the first month I lost 31 lbs, in the last 4 weeks I lost only 5 lbs.. ugh!

RNY 7-10-13    
T Lady
on 11/20/13 3:04 am, edited 11/20/13 3:05 am
Have you checked out the DS at all? I liked that it changed my insulin resistance with the intestinal change, which was first developed in Europe and used as a stand alone procedure, without the sleeve to everse diabetes. My body processes differently now and all of my PCOS symtpoms subsided within the first few months. PCOS sucks and the DS has the best statistics for keeping weight off, long term. I relate in that as soon as I hit puberty, around 13 or 14, my battle with weight started. Whatever you choose, I wish you well and feel your PCOS pain.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/14 12:58 pm

PCOS is the worst.  I have done everything to deal with my weight and avoid WLS.   And failed.  I am going to have the rny.  I am going all in nosy to turn back I am 41 years old and I want PCOS OUT OF MY LIFE,!   I want to be normal.   I wish I had listened to my. Dr 10 years ago and the surgery then.  

kshockley0712
on 1/24/14 6:42 am - Virginia Beach, VA

I am just now looking into surgeries. I have PCOS and weigh 241 lbs at 5'5. My husband and I have been trying to conceive. Is surgery best option? I do not have periods on my own and do not ovulate without clomid. Any suggestions on best surgery? HELP! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2979 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views