Experiences Please?

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/15 6:32 am
RNY on 04/15/15

Hi.  I am wondering if you can share your experiences with me.  I am 39 and I had the RNY surgery on April 15.  I have PCOS. I had some complications after my surgery and continue to have difficulty keeping food down if its not liquid.  I feel that I have been losing very slowly in spite of following my centers plan and getting very few calories.  Since my surgery, I have only lost 38 pounds.  My surgery weight was 250 lbs.  I dont know what to do.  I walk for about an hour each day, get my protein in and keep my carbs, calories and fat very low.  Is this the PCOS?  Did others with pcos lose slower than their peers or slowly in spite of doing everything they were supposed to do?  Anything that you were able to do to speed things up and be more successful?  Did you end up getting to a healthy weight?  If so, how long did it take?  I really want this to work, and I am feeling very discouraged that the scale isnt moving this last couple of weeks.  Everyone I know is pulling off these great loses, and here I am... doing what I was told and stuck.  Any sugestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Roma
on 6/23/15 7:31 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to keep food down.

I honestly don't mean to be snarky, can you clarify? You are concerned that you have lost 38 lbs in just over 2 months and it's too slow? That seems very fast and above average from what I have heard from others.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/15 7:42 pm
RNY on 04/15/15

Thanks so much for your reply.  No worries at all.  I dont find you snarky.  So I had a bunch of complications, then the last one was a stricture that was repaired and now I am still throwing up.  I am not able to eat any meat or fish without throwing it up whether it is pureed or not.  The surgeon said that I am having a lot of food intolerances.  Basically my pouch is very fussy and acts up a lot.  Of course, protein is what I need... and protein is what it is currently rejecting.  All in all things are improving.  Tomorrow I will be 10 weeks out.  So thats an average of 3.8 pounds per week... and I never get more than 300 cal a day due to the vomiting problems.  I just thought that was weird.  Please dont get me wrong.  I am super happy about all that I have lost.  I just thought it might have been a little slow based on what I was taking in.  Also, I thought most people lose about 5 per week or that it comes off more quickly in the beginning.  As my PCOS has sabotaged my weight loss efforts since I was a teen, I thought maybe it was slowing things down now too.  I guess the info I had about expected weekly loss was incorrect.  Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Roma
on 6/23/15 7:58 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Oh man, that sounds terrible. Sounds like the stricture plus the intolerance to certain foods is just an awful combination. Are you having pain too?

I have PCOS as well but only a bit post op, so I don't know about how it effects the speed of losing.  Hopefully someone with some insight will jump in with their thoughts.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

AnA92212
on 7/6/15 3:46 am

I have been worried about PCOS keeping me heavy too.  I was sleeved on 4/27/15.  I've lost 45 pounds in total.  I went for almost 3 weeks without any loss at all.  I went to my nutritionist and told her what I was eating.  She told me to add some carbs.  LOL.  First time I was EVER told that.  The next week I lost 9 pounds.  I work out about 5 to 6 days a week (zumba, body pump, incline treadmill, swimming) and eat somewhere between 400 and 600 calories a day. I have learned that you cannot compare yourself to others in this journey.  Everyone's body is different.   

Sunshine16
on 7/7/15 4:10 am

I had another type of Gastric bypass, but No it did not slow my weight loss down.  Now I'm five years out, I question since the malabsorption is not as strong, is it sneaking back.  Be gentle to yourself, and 39 pounds is good.  I applaud.  Everyone respond to wls differently.  It sounds like you are doing everything perfectly.  Sometimes when I did the opposite for a day or two I noticed I would lose more weight.  Like eat things that helped the malabsorption...like I'm lactose intolerant....so I would eat ice cream, and bam...a couple of pounds off. But do what is safe for you.  It could only wish to be so discipline.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views