Looking for help? Scared :/

Pcosdiva88
on 9/9/15 5:31 am - Winchester , KY

hello everyone. 

First and foremost thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am a 26 year old female with pcos, I'm considering weight loss surgery but really don't know which would be best for me. I come from a slightly traditional family who hates that I'm overweight but also hates the idea of weight loss surgery. any other ladies out there with pcos who have had a weight loss surgery? What are your alls opinions on which is best? 

Thank you so much. 

beachybikegirl
on 9/14/15 12:26 am

Hello,  I don't know that this forum is visited that often I check it every so often because I too have PCOS.  My story is long and mostly revolves around trouble with PCOS, for my full story click on my name which will take you to my blog.  For me after having my son, 3 years later I was having trouble with PCOS and extreme trouble losing the weight post baby.  I had two friends who had the gastric bypass so I decided to check it out.  After reading medical journals on PCOS and the gastric bypass I came to understand that WLS would indeed help me to lose the weight. After meeting with my surgeon she said the most effective surgery for PCOS is the RNY/gastric bypass because it changes your metabolism.  You can also post this question on both the RYN forum and the Sleeve Forum and see what other people say.  I wish I would have done this years ago!!!  That being said, you will always have PCOS but WLS will take care of the weight part of PCOS.  Taking charge of your health and your weight is the best thing you can do for yourself.  I am almost 3 months into this journey and I feel like this surgery put my factory reset back to normal.  Does that make sense?  I feel like I was dealt a bad hand when talking about my weight, hormones, pcos but this surgery has given me a fighting chance to lose ALL the weight!  It is so wonderful to not feel hungry all the time.  It is amazing to take up less space in the world.  You can email me if you have any specific questions!

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

ChrissiTina
on 9/15/15 8:57 am

I wish I had some great words of encouragement, but I can tell you my story.  

I'm 32 years old.  I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 22.  I've never even had so much as a false positive pregnancy test, and I've been adding weight on despite eating well and exercising often.  Weight loss surgery seems to be my only option.  After discussing my case with my surgeon as well as doing research on my own, I'm electing to have gastric bypass.  With my set of cir****tances, it just seems like the best idea for me.

I'm in the process of getting all of the required insurance testing done, so I don't have any great success stories to tell yet, but hopefully soon!  :-)

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/15 8:12 pm - WV

Hi PCOSDiva88,

I have been diagnosed with PCOS since 2004. I was over 200 pounds over weight and have lost 80# very slowly over the last 2.5 years. I am in my first month of the 6 month process to have bariatric surgery. I have extensively researched Roux-en-y and Vertical Gastric Sleeve. Roux-en-y has documented proof of helping to correct the metabolism and is better for people with endocrine issues, however that doesn't mean the VSG wouldn't work. They both have pros and cons. It is important that you research both surgeries and consult with your physician for what will be best for you and what you can live with. It is your body. This procedure and all its requirements will be with you for life. Presently I am torn between the one I will choose. I have an EGD (upper endoscopy) scheduled in December. The results of this will help to determine what I will have. I recommend you read at http://www.obesitycoverage.com and https://asmbs.org/patients. Obesity Coverage also has a weight loss calculator to show you the differences in the average amount of weight lost. Remember in the end, this surgery is a tool. It still requires hard work and dedication to reach your goals. I know people who have had bariatric surgery who have lost 80-90% and kept it off for over 10 years. Your new life and new habits will help to determine your long term success. 

I know you wanted a more definitive answer, but this is the best I could give you. Good luck!

sweetpotato1959
on 10/3/15 2:39 am

I have been PCOS since before my wt loss surgery 20 years ago. I had a surgery they do not do now, a combination of at least three of what is done...

The surgery will give you control that you do not have now. glyburide can help with the hormone control portion of pcos..as it is used for hormonal issue of insulin, (my daughtr takes it for this) If you have exhausted all possibilities for wt loss any other way, as I did, I would say get the information and make the choice that will give you a metabolism change. follow the rules your surgeon gives you for post op care and health maintainence. My weight was 292 1/2 at my heaviest and currently I am at 180, I got down to 150 for a while, but my activity level had to change, and I picked up about 40 lbs, so am on the way back down now... life throws us hardballs and we have to catch them or be knocked down... I just chose not to stay down...you can too!

Denise
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3595 views