There IS hope-baby at 40!

Karen S.
on 4/17/04 1:16 pm - Florence, SC
Hi all. Just wanted to give a little hope to those of you suffering from PCOS. I am now 40 years old. I believe I have had PCOS all my life, but was officially diagnosed with it in 2000. I was married previously for almost 13 years, and never got pregnant. We never used birth control either ( he DID mange to get the next door neighbor pregnant, which is why he is now my ex!) I remarried 3 years ago, and advised my husband to be that if he wanted more children, I might not be the "girl" for him, ( he has a daughter from a previous marriage). He wanted to marry me anyway, and last year while visiting family in CA, I found out I was pregnant! Couldn't believe it! I was 11 months out of WLS. I had never had regular periods in my life, but once I had the surgery, they were like clockwork. My son, Jackson Wyatt, was born on 10/31/03. I was 39 years old. What a blessing. I would like to tell those of you who are wanting to try to get pregnant, that I did not use birth control after my surgery either. What I did find out was that my thyroid was not working (hypothyroidism), so I began taking Synthroid, and I also continued with 1500mg per day of Glucophage. Within 3 months of starting the Synthroid, I was pregnant. It's worth checking out. And by the way, your "family" doctor might read your thyroid levels as "normal". You should go to an Endocrinologist to be thoroughly tested. Best of luck to all of you. I feel so blessed, I just wanted to share hope for all of you out there who thought there wasn't any hope of ever having a child. Please fell free to e-mail me @ [email protected] if you have any questions. God Bless, Karen S.
A DS Stranger
on 4/18/04 2:11 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Karen, Thank you so much for posting this, I get so hopeful when I see others successes. I have had PCOS since I was a teenager and did end up having a baby in my late teens because I thought I couldn't get pregnant but I guess I hit one of those rare ovulating momentsNow at 30 I don't think I get those rare moments anymore (13 years unprotected sex and nothing). I know 30 isn't old age but it 's certainly when you start hearing the sonic boom of the biological clock and I have to wait the post op time as well. I have hypothyroidism as well so I can only hope and pray I have such a success. Congratulations on your little guy, I wish you the best. Angela
gmb0899
on 4/22/04 2:02 pm
Thanks Karen, I have had 25 years of unprotected sex. I have all the symptons of PCOS; facial hair, irregular periods and i don't ovulate. All my blood tests came back "normal". I have tried clomid, pergonal and atificial insemination. I came close to boaderline insulin resistant. The pain of infertility was so intense for many years. Most of my friends now have college aged children or are grandparents. I don't think i would ever be a mommy even after my WLS. I read stories like yours and I am happy that the pain of infertility for you has vanished. If i had only known that i was a candidate for WLS years ago, I could have had a chance of getting pregnant. Congratulations on the birth of your first child. You have been truly blessed. Margaret
NadineM
on 6/16/04 11:37 am - Vancouver, WA
That is so awesome.....My tubes are scared and I have PCOS so I don't think this will work for me....But Congrat's to you!!! Good to know for other's wanting to have children. I am also approaching 40 Nadine
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/04 12:19 pm - Rosiclare, IL
I wi**** was as easy for me,but im so excited for your happy ending..I have been told i dont have PCOS,and i have been talking thyroid meds since i was 7yrs old,and im also on Glucophage 1500mg per day .I took birthcontrol cause it made me start my periods,but it was hurting me too much making me sick so i stopped taking them.Im 30yrs old and i have been trying for awhile now with my hunny but nothings working and i know its not him he has a little boyand we have a little girl thats adopted,but i cant help and the longing to have a baby of my own..Maybe some day,and if not im going to have to be happy with the children i have and i am.I dont want to sound like im not grateful for what i have i guess its just me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3596 views