never diagnosed

stayceX
on 2/5/05 2:33 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi Gang - I went to my OB/GYN a few years ago and mentioned PCOS but had lab work and it was never confirmed. What point in your cycle (if you are even having one) do you have to have the lab work? I did have a fibroid so I thought that might be the problem but it was removed and ever since the PCOS-like symptoms seem worse. I did see an endocrinologist many years ago but my hormone levels were fine then too. My symptoms -------------------- Two patches of dark hair under my chin on both sides about size of quarter. Single dark strains of here creeping up on my face ever once in a while. A few dark hairs on my toes - especially big toe. More prevelant the past couple years with more weight gain. Also noticing more accelerated growth now. Comes back much faster even with waxing. Occasional pain on and off during the years when having intercourse - started after Myomectomy procedure to remove a grapefruit sized fibroid in my uterus so it could be due to scar tissue. Over the years very heavy periods or complete absense of period. Used a mini pill but still had irregular periods. Went to a stronger pill and was regular on that for 6 months. Then I went off the pill in July because I wanted to try and get pregnant - was getting married in October. Periods were irregular again as in the past prior to going on a stronger birth control pill. Now I have not had a period at all since Thanksgiving. Abnormal Pap with pre- cancer cells on cervix back in early 90's, had loop/leep surgery to remove section and normal paps since Fertiliity issues - 1st husband, with him for 10 years and several off birth control but never got pregnant. With my 2nd husband for almost three years and off pill since July and not pregnant. Weight-gain even though I work out 5-6 days a week on a regular basis in the last 3 years. Extremely difficult to loose weight and keep it off. When I have lost it I seem to gain it back very easily. I eat healthy foods for the most part but I do splurge a few times a week and have had issues in the past with portion control. Other women in my family with issues - Mother had uterine cancer, endometriosis, painful periods, and ovarian cysts. Just had a hysterectomy and radiation 6 months ago. Grandmother had issues, aunt had issues. I should have gone to my OB/GYN in December as I was due for my annual. I guess part of me is scared to find out something is wrong prior to getting a date for WLS. I am probably going to get my WLS for April. I will make an appointment on Monday with her to talk to her some more about it. I'm getting more concerned lately that something could be wrong. Thanks
mightyisis6874
on 2/6/05 7:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey, Stacy! I saw you on the MD message board. We have SOOOO mu*****ommon. Anyway, I always forget the timing of the tests my RE uses. I'd suggest going to a site like www.soulcysters.com . The message board has a section dedicated to the newly diagnosed. It talks about the tests, symptoms and treatments that "cysters" get. If it helps, the fact that I had PCOS with insulin resistance (and that the two make it nearly impossible to lose weight, and all but guarantee I'll eventually have diabetes and such) helped my RE, PCP and surgeon really support my decision to have WLS. Some insurances count it as a comorbidity. My RE just reminded me that I have to stop my meds (2000 mg of Metformin) for 48 hours prior to surgery. If you have other questions though, email me anytime! Tiffany
stayceX
on 2/6/05 7:51 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi Tiffany - I glanced at that site the other day but need to look at it some more. I am going to send you an email as well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2985 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3596 views