PCOS Insurance Question

tdr651
on 6/29/05 2:17 pm - Pompano Beach, FL
Hi everyone, I was denied for surgery and now I am doing my appeal so I need to know if PCOS is a good enough reason to have wls for the insurance companies? My BMI is like 46.2 but otherwise the doctor thinks im pretty healthy, I know I have PCOS (since age 14) and I am infertile, isnt that a good enough reason for surgery? I am just curious as to what I can have my doctor write. Your replies are appreciated. Thanks so much Tara
KristalGerou
on 6/29/05 4:21 pm - Kimberly, WI
Hi Tara I also have PCOS and had to do an appeal and just got approved If you do a search on the web for PCOS you will find that it causes a whole lot of different things so if you can list them one by one in your appeal it will show them you have more thangs wrong then just PCOS (you know what I mean) give them more if you need a copy of an appeal I will send you the one I won from Kristal GOOD LUCK 59 days left
AK
on 7/1/05 6:30 am - western, MA
Tara, I got the lapband approved on appeal - I used PCOS as one of my reasons why it was necessary....it is my only comorbidity ~ and it worked! Surgery is July 12....can't wait! good luck-
tdr651
on 8/18/05 12:40 am - Pompano Beach, FL
I hope you are well, I was just following up on my question and I saw you had surgery on the 12th. how did it go? good I hope, would love to hear from you. Take care and CONGRATS on your surgery. Tara
AK
on 8/19/05 2:58 am - western, MA
Hi Tara! Yes, I had surgery, and I'm doing well. I am down about 17 pounds now, and thrilled with it! I have some restriction still, even 5-6 weeks post op. Lots of people do not, so I am pleased. I had a mini-fill in the surgeon's office, and it wasn't bad at all. I am the world's biggest weenie - terrified of needles. And this wasn't bad at all.....so, all in all, I'm a happy camper! It is nice to not be hungry......hours go by and then I realize I haven't eaten. Something I have NEVER had happen before. I just went to see my gynecologist to discuss my going back on metformin, which I was on prior to surgery, to help with the irregular periods caused by pcos. She wants me back on, so I will be experiencing some gastrointestinal 'issues' in the next few weeks! Woo-hee! I hope to not need it forever! Good luck on your appeal - I hope you win! Feel free to email/ask anything else....check out my profile here too... Amy
tdr651
on 8/4/05 1:57 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Its been more then a month since I posted this, I sent my appeal in this past Tuesday and believe me I listed every single thing that PCOS does to you and I explained why/how each things affects me. So thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I can only hope that they approve me. My appeal letter turned out to be 6 pages long and I have to say thank you to a special person, you know who you are, for giving me a copy of your appeal letter...I used a lot of the facts in my letter. THANKS so much. Tara
azbabeedoll
on 9/9/05 3:32 am - Phoenix, AZ
You all inspired me so much! i just found out yesterday that i was denied because my bmi was 34.1 in 2000 and my insurance requires it be 35 or higher for the last 5 yrs so basically i missed it by .9!!!!!! it has been a real bummer 2 days.......is there anywhere on here where women who had pcos have posted their appeal letters? thanks again for your encouragement!
sngglnclos
on 9/19/05 3:20 am - sw burbs, MN
Hi Tara Someone posted this website and it is full of info. I agree you should list all the symptons of PCOS individually. Good luck! http://www.soulcysters.com/
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1040 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2986 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3596 views