why in the world

Ramona
on 9/22/05 11:53 am - KY
hey guys well I got the bloodwork back from my doc on my Poly cystic syndrome order... well, i had to change my appointment today, because of a paper to write for class. so i called.. well she said the doc said you have to come in and she really needs to talk to you about your lab and your other work you had done.. i was like okay. what about tuesday.. anyways, i asked how high was my testosterone might not be spelled correctly.. she said well the cut off level is whatever it was and you are extrememly way above that.. I was like what and she said 89 I was like what the heck.. how can it be 89 I have lost 36lbs and been takening my pills like normal and blah blah.. So, now my level is higher than its ever been the highest was 84 when diagnosed with it and the lowest is 50 and two weeks before surgery it was 64... so i am not sure what my body is doing and whats going on inside but I am starting to get frustrated.. no wonder I have only lost 36lbs.. although I talked to my surgeons nurse today she said that is great, but then I told her about my cholesterol and she said oh wow.. due to it being high and then about this.. and she said oh no lol.. I am like okay and what is that about.. I had called to ask about having an IUD put in for birth control use and so while on the phone i said do you think i am absorbing the pill and she said honestly I seriously doubt it.. anyone else out here take the pill... but the thing is i am not worried about getting pregnant.. with the level 89 hell has to freeze over first before it takes place... So, I have been worried all day about this.. the thing is the meds you go on.. make you go to the potty all day long.. and thing is i am not sure if we can even take glucophage.. and with my not eating sugars at 1500mg a day.. i will bottom out.. so anyone else having problems like this. I just needed to vent about it.. I called my moms and said well you know you do have 3 sons after all lol.. and she said what? and then i told her that i am 11% aways from producing 100 male hormones.. Thank GOd its not caused me to be all hairy or nothing.. but I can tell in my weightloss that its high.. I had wondered about it when I was not loosing anything, but everyone keeps saying oh it will come off and etc.. well when you have PCOS u don't loose like normal people.. you only loose half the weight.. anyways anyone got any advice or can relate.. and do you know if we absorb glucophage or not? and can we take it.. i tried to call the surgeons nurse back but no such luck.. anyways thanks ahead everyone...
heatherevond
on 10/5/05 2:53 pm - Madison, AL
There is a new medication on the market that might work better than glucophage (avarian.. I'm guessing..But it does start with an A). I wouldn't want to do the first few weeks with glucophage on a bypassed tummy. It could probably be done.. But I know I could have been dehydrated when I was taking the glucophage and needed to use the pot every five minutes. I would love to know what your surgeon says. Are you seeing an endocrinologist as well? Also, I have the IUD. I wanted something that would prevent me from getting pregnant and not get the progesterone in time. I don't want another miscarriage. I've also heard that people who couldn't get pregnant before somehow fall pregnant once the weight starts falling off. I would rather have a more controlled conception than that. Good Luck! Heather
Allison M.
on 10/12/05 12:09 am
Hi Ramona, I was in the same boat. My Testosterone was 119! That was after losing 145lbs. People (Doctors) like to blame the weight, but thin women also have it. PCOS is an Endocrine disease and should be treated by an Endocrinologist. I actually began gaining weight at about seven months post-op. I was freaking out. It took doctors five months to finally give me a diagnosis of PCOS. Then they just wanted to put me on the pill. Well I finally had a name for my disease and I did my research. (www.soulcysters.com is a great source of info.) I was tested for everything: Insulin resistance, glucose, vitamin D,Testosterone etc.. My Endo prescribed Metformin (Glucophage) It has changed my life! I love it. I had no stomach problems. Have you taken it in the past? You have to start it very slowly. My testosterone is now down to 19-22. My weight loss started again, acne cleared up, less hair loss, more energy, regular periods, etc.. I also asked for Spironolactone to help with hair regrowth, but it hasn't helped I think that is because I am anemic. Please email me if you have any questions. PCOS and weight loss is difficult enough with out a knowledgeable Doctor. Good luck and do your research, if not properly treated PCOS can lead to Diabetes and cardiovascular disease (even in thin women) Allison
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1042 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2989 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3600 views