Recent Posts

deb_m
on 9/8/08 11:01 am - Sanford, NC
Topic: RE: confused and need your help
All I can answer to is RNY.  I haven't had any complications and lost over 100 pounds in 8 months.  I feel great, and can eat most things without problems.  As I've said in some other posts, my DH & I tried to get pregnant for over 10 years, and after losing the weight, I started ovulating (almost immediately) and was able to get pregnant when we first started trying. 

I do still have some facial hair, but I think it's better than it used to be.

The bottom line - you need to do the surgery that works for you.  But RNY worked for me and my PCOS!  :)  Good luck to you!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

deb_m
on 9/8/08 10:51 am - Sanford, NC
Topic: RE: Progesterone & Pregnancy
Sarah (above) and I are on a wavelength.  Tried for 10 years to get pregnant with PCOS.  I lost 100 pounds and started ovulating on my own.  Got pregnant the first month trying after WLS.  I lost that baby at 5 weeks.  After talking with Sarah, I realized progesterone might have been the problem.  But, the military medical system takes forever to get anything done, and my primary Dr. didn't know how to treat it.  So in the meantime I used over the counter progesterone cream as a precaution (bought it at The Vitamin Shoppe.)  I got pregnant right away again.  Turns out I didn't need the cream this time around because my progesterone was tested around 4.5 weeks at 37 (great!)  Turns out losing the weight did the trick for me.  :)  

Good luck to you! 
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Sarah B.
on 9/8/08 12:07 am - Hemet, CA
Topic: Progesterone DURING Pregnancy
Hi all...

I have discovered that getting prego AFTER surgery is a little too easy! I miscarried our first, but found out 4 weeks later I'm pregnant with our second. I'm 10 weeks along now. I am using progesterone vaginal suppositories this time. My question is...did any of you use progesterone suppositories with your pregnancies? If so...how did it work? What were your side effects? (Did you crave carbs??) Did  you have a successful pregnancy? Any stories...ideas...suggestions...would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What a RIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!
Start: 396 lbs
Weight on Day of Surgery: 360 lbs
Current Weight/ 13 Months Out: 170 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 226 lbs (36 pre-op...190 post-op)
Weight Left to Lose: 10-20 lbs 
Goal Weight: 125 lbs (after skin surgery is done...)

Sarah B.
on 9/8/08 12:01 am - Hemet, CA
After Gastric Bypass surgery, and losing 230 lbs....I was able to concieve without any problems at all. I miscarried our first, and found out 4 weeks later I am pregnant with our second.  I didn't need progesterone to have a period...that began on its own as soon as I got down to around 220 lbs. However, I am on progesterone now due to the miscarraige. It is to sustain this pregnancy. I take 200 mg a day as a vaginal suppository. So far...so good. I'm at 10 weeks. Doc says when I get to 12 weeks all will be great.

What a RIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!
Start: 396 lbs
Weight on Day of Surgery: 360 lbs
Current Weight/ 13 Months Out: 170 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 226 lbs (36 pre-op...190 post-op)
Weight Left to Lose: 10-20 lbs 
Goal Weight: 125 lbs (after skin surgery is done...)

Catnip
on 9/7/08 2:08 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Topic: RE: confused and need your help
HI,

I choose to have the DS.

When you have PCOS you body is a powerhouse for absorbing calories. The malabsorption of the DS will help you reverse your bodies natural tendency.  Ds is the only surgery that provides malabsorption. Doctors are now learning that the RNY provides no malabsorption in the long term because the rerouted part of the intestines is too short.

The thing with DS is that you have to be willing to take vitamins for the rest of your life and i don't mean a multi everyday i mean take like 10 calcium and 10 other vitamins everyday.  Before surgery i struggled to remember to take pills more then once a day but 3 months out i find it easy. Right now i am taking alot of pills but soon i will cut back as i am now able to eat more then before.

There is alot of misinformation about the DS and bowel movements out there. If you have to eat carbs then you are going to have issues. If you are happy to live a life that is reduced carbs (but not carb free) then you won't have as many bowel issues.  With Ds it really is a "garbage in garbage out, good stuff in ,and good stuff out "system.  

Please head over to the DS board and ask some question we love answering them, I would also suggest checking out www.duodenalswitch.com for more information.

Good luck,

catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Heidi S.
on 9/7/08 8:42 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
So sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I hope it works for you this time as well

All the best
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Lady Nacole
on 9/7/08 8:18 am - Anderson, IN
Actually it helped me conceive but my son died at 5 days old I am wanting to do it again...the doc said they don't see PCOS in my system anymore but they can't rule it out
Heidi S.
on 9/7/08 8:14 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
I was on 30 mg for 4 months straight now I have the Mirena that releases progesterone directly to the uterus. You were lucky that yours worked in such a small dose and short period of time. I guess it depends how severe ones PCOS is.

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Lady Nacole
on 9/7/08 8:06 am - Anderson, IN
Really? I was on 10 mg for 10 days and started my period just the other day. What is your script?
Heidi S.
on 9/7/08 7:44 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
I took prescription progesterone but not to get pregnant it was to try to give me a period. Be very careful with it, it tends to make you very hungry especially if you are at a high dose. I was on high doses for 4 months and still no period. I hope things work out for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1036 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2978 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3592 views